Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 T&C Limited rear door does not open automatic..

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Default 2001 T&C Limited rear door does not open automatic..

When I press the button from remote or inside the van it beeps and make noise of opening, but does not lift by itself. I think it’s the motor!! Could be anything else? Like fuse?
thanks pros

Old 01-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Default RE: 2001 T&C Limited rear door does not open automatic..

Since you said it beeps, I'll assume you mean the rear liftgate. Will it power closed sometimes? will the door "pop" into the secondary latch position? When mine went bad, it would sometimes power closed (but mostly not). It turned out to be the "pawl switch" was bad. The door has a number of switches that tell the control computer the state of the door. The first thing it needs to do is "pop"-- the pawl switch tell it when it is in the popped position and then the computer starts the lift motor. If it doesn't get the right signal from any of the switches it will stop the cycle. The most likely switches to go bad are all located within the latch which is replaced as an assembly-- I think it was about $100. In my case I was able to pinpoint the problem with a DRBIII scan tool (the dealer scan tool), but replacing the latch would be a good bet and wouldn't cost much more than a dealer "diagnosis fee" anyway.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:12 PM

[align=left]I had the same problem with my 2001 T&C and it turned out to be the rubber bumpers on either side of the hatch opening had to be shimmed? out a little to put tension on the hatch.Otherwise the computer saw it as an obstruction when the hatch did not clear the opening and stopped the cycle.I used washers on the two screws on each bumper as spacers to push them out a little.Works fine since.
[/align]

Old 01-06-2008, 02:24 PM

it does open and close with remote or manualy, but does not open all way up (doesnt pop), the door doesn't open. You can hear the motor opening when you press the latcher or remote. but the lift motor doesn't make any noise (its dead).
thanks guys

Old 01-06-2008, 02:26 PM

dan194, when ths happen could you hear any noyse from the lift motor?

Old 01-06-2008, 04:13 PM

ORIGINAL: jquinones

it does open and close with remote or manualy, but does not open all way up (doesnt pop), the door doesn't open. You can hear the motor opening when you press the latcher or remote. but the lift motor doesn't make any noise (its dead).
thanks guys
No, you should not expect to hear any noise from the lift motor. The computer never turns it on because it doesn't get the right signal from the switches, so that doesn't mean the motor is dead. As mentioned above, it is possible that you just need to shim the rubber bumpers out a little bit. There is a TSB (technical service bulletin) that suggests that, so it wouldn't hurt to try. In my case it did not help because the problem was a bad switch in the latch mechanism.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:25 PM

No,the motor does not run because the computer does not sense the hatch is clear.With the shims the hatch pops free and the computer says okay lets open.It takes 5 min to try and costs nothing.Mine would act up more when it was cold.I believe it was because the rubber bumpers lost some of their spring but with the shims the spring was then still there and the hatch cleared.Good luck
[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-06-2008, 10:07 PM

I'll try to do that, but could you explen to me step by step and location please?
my English sometimes is complicate to understand.

Thank you guys very much

Old 01-07-2008, 02:47 PM

There are rectangular shaped rubber bumpers in the door sill on each side of the van at about tail light level, you can't miss them.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:25 PM
moe

,Try putting shims under the bumpers #1 in this picture.moe

Quick Reply: 2001 T&C Limited rear door does not open automatic..