Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Wheel bearing and U joint

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 09:25 AM
Default Wheel bearing and U joint

Hi -

I had my right U-joint replaced in the spring, and ever since then there has been this noise like my car is running a high speed.

I thought the sound was coming from my engine, so I took my car back to the mechanic who replaced the U-joint and he says that I now need a new wheel bearing on that same tire.

I did some online research and it seems as if the wheel bearing problem could have been caused by the mechanic when he replaced the U-joint.

Before I go back and talk to him about this, I would like some opinions on whether I am on the right track or not.

Thank you in advance - Sue

Old 07-17-2012, 09:47 AM

1. It might help if you provided some information about your vehicle: model, year, engine, mileage, things like that so we know what we're talking about here.

2. Noises are essentially impossible to diagnose over the internet. "there has been this noise like my car is running a high speed" could mean almost anything you want it to mean.

3. It might be a little more likely that improper work around the drive axles would damage the constant velocity joint than the wheel bearing but lots of things are possible. Nobody here is going to accuse your mechanic of bad workmanship based on this amount of evidence. If you don't trust that mechanic, find a different one. Once he has had a chance to look at the vehicle he may be in a position to give you an opinion. Things do wear out/go bad without the necessity of bad workmanship by a mechanic being the cause.

4. You might want to invest in a Haynes or Chilton's manual for your car and read up on any repairs you are considering. Even if you have no intention whatsoever of doing the repair yourself, it is helpful to know what the job entails so you can discuss it intelligently with your mechanic.