Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 The flagship of the Chrysler lineup offers the driver every bit of class of any European luxury sedan, combined with the availability of the Hemi, the engine which dominated the American Muscle Car Era

ZF 8 Speed Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 09:42 AM
Default ZF 8 Speed Transmission Fluid

Gentlemen,

Has anyone changed that green fluid on this Transmission? The plastic pan with a built-in filter?
Doing my own search, I read conflicting reports:
some say don't change, it is Chrysler Transm. it is "Life Time"
others at ZF say change it between 50.000, 75.000, others say 100.000 and some go up to 120.000.
To add to the confusion here, some claim two versions of ZF transmissions:
one is manufactured by ZF company and the second version is made in-house by Chrysler (licensed by ZF)
They go on and on saying the Chrysler one has different specs than the one made by ZF therefore it is a lifetime as in BMWs and Range Rovers.
so?
If we follow the Lifetime argument, 100.000 plus miles on the car without any trans problems, why mess with it? If it is not broken why fix it? right?
If the 50-75K miles argument is true then it is kind of late to change the fluid running the risk of losing it 1-2 months after changing the fluid.

What is the final verdict on this one?

Last edited by Joseph Brando; 03-09-2021 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:10 AM

What does your owners manual say ?

Old 03-09-2021, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
What does your owners manual say ?
The owner's manual talks about 60.000 for 5 speed only.

What triggered my post here , is this guy :

Cheers

Last edited by Joseph Brando; 03-09-2021 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:31 PM

Joe - Were I you, I would go with your owners manual unless you have symptoms of transmission trouble. As I recall , approved ZF fluid is very expensive - like $15 to $30 a quart.

Does your car have more than 5 speeds ? What year is the car and how many miles on it ?

Last edited by tarhealcracker; 03-09-2021 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:46 AM

My car is 2013, thread #2 shows a screenshot from my owner's manual, but it has ZF 8 speed with over 110.000 miles. Fingers crossed NO troubles.
It is very expensive indeed, $45 a quart here, When changing the fluid must change
( the filter and the plastic pan as one unit) the quote was close to $1000 with labor.

I brought up this topic for educational purposes only.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:08 AM

Sounds like your car is well overdue for the fluid change. Have you decided to do it ? Can you import the kit and would you do the job yourself ?

FWIW - I had a Jag with the ZF transmission and lazy shifts. I replaced the fluid with Mobile1 trans fluid using a flush procedure. It saved me a big bucks and worked out well. The jag forum, of which I was a member, had a lot of pros and cons. As I recall, I used 15 quarts of the stuff, draining 5 qts, running the engine, draining 5 qts, etc, etc and leaving the last 5 qts in. No filter change as the pan was not removed.

Last edited by tarhealcracker; 03-10-2021 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:31 AM

[QUOTE=tarhealcracker;117481]Sounds like your car is well overdue for the fluid change. Have you decided to do it? Can you import the kit and would you do the job yourself?

I got in touch with a service guy whom I knew at a Chrysler dealer in NJ.
He had no idea, he made several calls then texted me back saying it is 100.000 miles interval.
I feel much better being at 118.000 miles, not well overdue.
As to the kit, I found this :
https://www.thectsc.com/catalog/8hp4...70/75-107.html

In Post #2 above, the manual says:
Change the automatic transmission fluid and filter if
using your vehicle for any of the following: police,
taxi, fleet, off-road, or frequent trailer towing (five-speed only).

But this applies to 5 speed, at 60.000 no mention of ZF 8 speed in my manual.

All my online research on ZF comes up with Service NOT required, NO checking fluid is necessary, NO Dipstick,
Fluid is Lifetime.
Perhaps that is why we don't have a service reminder similar to the change engine oil light?

According to ZF

Do we really think any lubricant/fluid can stand the heat, the contamination indefinitely? I have no idea.

Old 04-27-2023, 12:41 AM

[QUOTE=Joseph Brando;117483]
Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
Sounds like your car is well overdue for the fluid change. Have you decided to do it? Can you import the kit and would you do the job yourself?

I got in touch with a service guy whom I knew at a Chrysler dealer in NJ.
He had no idea, he made several calls then texted me back saying it is 100.000 miles interval.
I feel much better being at 118.000 miles, not well overdue.
As to the kit, I found this :
https://www.thectsc.com/catalog/8hp4...70/75-107.html

In Post #2 above, the manual says:
Change the automatic transmission fluid and filter if
using your vehicle for any of the following: police,
taxi, fleet, off-road, or frequent trailer towing (five-speed only).

But this applies to 5 speed, at 60.000 no mention of ZF 8 speed in my manual.

All my online research on ZF comes up with Service NOT required, NO checking fluid is necessary, NO Dipstick,
Fluid is Lifetime.
Perhaps that is why we don't have a service reminder similar to the change engine oil light?

According to ZF

Do we really think any lubricant/fluid can stand the heat, the contamination indefinitely? I have no idea.
I have a 2014 300S with around 90k miles. I went through the same ordeal as you, with chrysler dealership saying something and online people saying something else, and the manual saying to change only if it was a fleet car. I ended up contacting ZF and this was their reply "All transmission oils needs to be changed in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations (mileage and/or time related). Please consult your service manual or the local Chrysler distributor on the recommended intervals". So basically, another conflicting answer!!
Being scared of not changing it and having it break down, I ended up going ahead with the change, and here's what I can report. The oil was pitch black with 0 lubrication, and the magnets on the pan were filled with metal shavings that they could no longer hold any more. So, my suggestion, DO change it if you havn't already. It's best to do flushes like others suggested in order to get the rest of the oil to come out (when you drain it, only 5.5 liters come out, while another 3+ liters remain in the torque converter and other parts.
hope this helps, if not you, others reading this.

Old 04-28-2023, 05:00 AM

The op states his car has the 8 speed ZF transmission but the aforementioned transmission isn’t listed in his owner’s manual? I must have missed something. I believe the 5 speed is referred to as the NAG1 transmission and is supplied by Mercedes?

I would NEVER ‘power flush’ a transmission. No more than I drive my car, I’ll tag the 10 year target for major fluid replacement.

Last edited by Curious Joe; 04-28-2023 at 05:03 AM.