Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Info and Opinions NEEDED! Looking to buy an Aspen SOON!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Question Info and Opinions NEEDED! Looking to buy an Aspen SOON!

Test drove a 07 Aspen with Hemi & LOVED it. Now looking for an Aspen with many or all the bells & whistles and low mileage in my price range. We'd like to get a camper next year and need to make sure it can pull it.

Any advice on what to look for in an (obviously used) Aspen:
-most dependable model year?
-do all Hemi's 5.7L tow the same amount? What does axial ratio mean (ex. 3.55)?
-does the DVD screen block the rearview mirror?
-any problems with the electronics (radio/navigation/back-up camera, dvd, heated seats etc.)
-do you recommend the running boards? (good for me not my spouse)
-is it easy to find replacement parts since they haven't made them for 4 years?
-any tips from mechanics on what to look for/avoid when buying a used Aspen? (we will have it for a long time & need something dependable & safe for our young family)
-is 18" or 20" wheels/tires better for towing, general driving, long trips & driving in snow?
-on the 2009's did they move the Aspen badge/name to the right side of the tailgate and put Chrysler on the left? (found one like this, wondering if it was wreaked & repaired wrong)

Any & all info is appreciated!! Hoping to make the best informed decision, THANKS in advance.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:32 AM

I tow my two ATVs, the DVD screen does block some of the view, but if you have a camper, you really can't see much except the camper anyway. I have an 08 with the Hemi and we love it has plenty of power, can't even feel the 1000 pound trailer and 1300 pounds of ATVs. I think on this vehicle the running boards are a good idea, they look nice and make it easier to get in and easier on the seats. I know the door drains were an issue you may see rust forming at the base of all of the doors. Smaller wheels will probably do better in the snow but shouldn't have any issues really with the 20s. Remember it isn't an off road truck. Good luck!

Old 06-08-2013, 08:45 AM

Thank you KingZeke for the info. I had not heard that about the door drains, definitely something to look for. As for the DVD, just wondered for everyday driving. Kids have portable players now & use them all the time, trying to decide if I'd regret the built in DVD if I can't see well. Have you had to do many repairs?

Old 06-10-2013, 10:27 AM

you can definitely see the dvd player when it is down. Honestly though, I don't regret it. We had portable players for my kids in our two other cars before getting the Aspen. They love it and it isn't in the way enough to make me regret it. I use the side mirrors a lot. I haven't needed any repairs yet which is a good thing. I think I may look at replacing the shocks within the year but that is just due to having 78k miles. Good luck.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:47 PM

1. They only made the Aspen for a few years, but the Durango it's based on was built for three years prior to the Aspen making an appearance. I don't think there's anything wrong with any particular year.

2. Axle ratio deals with the amount of times the driveshaft turns before the rear wheel turns once. On the 2008 Durango, the vehicle has a stock 3.55:1 axle ratio, which means the axle turns 3.5 times to turn the rear wheel once (very generally speaking). The tow package has a higher 3.92:1 axle. Higher axle ratio = more torque, which is better for towing. The downside is that the axle continues to turn more at higher speeds, which = lower gas mileage because the RPMs tend to be higher at highway speeds.

3. It does somewhat, but you can flip it back up into the headliner when it's not being watched. It's never really been an issue for me.

4. Nope -- everything works as advertised.

5. Yep -- they work well. The paint tends to chip there first in my experience, but they're functionally good.

6. Yep -- tons of interchangeable part numbers across product lines with Chrysler. I haven't had any issues finding parts, although I haven't needed many. I've had the truck for 75k miles since 2008, and have replaced a temp sensor and a small piece of weather strip. Shocks were replaced at 50k because the stock ones are soft and wear quickly, and I did the brakes early for a performance upgrade.

7. I'm not a mechanic, but the spark plugs on the Hemi are to be replaced every 30k with copper plugs. That'd be a good thing to check to make sure the prior owner was on top of maintenance. The exhaust bolts tend to break, so if you hear a loud tick at startup, it's a simple fix. Shocks wear quickly IMO, as I stated above. I also had a TSB performed for a fuel line that burped gas out at fill-up. This was/is a common problem. Check under the fuel door to make sure the previous owner didn't have this problem without repairing it for a long time, as some Durango owners have complained about rust resulting from years of gas sitting on the paint under the fuel door. If you do ever have has spit out when filling the tank, it's a free repair with unlimited miles. Finally, rust on the bottom of the doors (door seams) has been an issue for me that was repaired under corrosion warranty. Mechanically, these are great vehicles.

8. Honestly, I don't think it matters. I prefer the look of the 20" wheels, and I use them in snow every year without an issue. The 20" tires will have a higher replacement cost than the 18" wheels, if that's a consideration for you.

9. Not that I know of, but I have a 2008.

Good luck! Lots of used Aspens out there for great deals. The Hemi engine gets crap mileage, but it's very reliable. The 4.7's mileage isn't significantly better.

Last edited by 15951a\; 06-10-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:23 PM
Default 2009 Aspen Hybrid

I am listing my Aspen for sale on Kijiji and autotrader. My dealer did an oil change and peace of mind inspection. 77K kilometers on vehicle and they said my shocks are not leaking but are soft? I have had no issues with this vehicle up to now. Do I spend $1200 to get them repaired?

Old 08-13-2013, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by CarmenE
I am listing my Aspen for sale on Kijiji and autotrader. My dealer did an oil change and peace of mind inspection. 77K kilometers on vehicle and they said my shocks are not leaking but are soft? I have had no issues with this vehicle up to now. Do I spend $1200 to get them repaired?
You're going to get better and more responses if you create your own thread rather than placing your question in a completely unrelated thread.

$1,200 for new shocks is ridiculous...beyond highway robbery. You can buy new Bilsteins for $300-$400, including installation. $1,200 for factory shocks is just unbelievable.

Anyway, if you're selling the vehicle, why do you care?

Old 10-25-2013, 07:23 AM
Default Exhaust Bolts

Originally Posted by 15951a\

7. ... The exhaust bolts tend to break, so if you hear a loud tick at startup, it's a simple fix...
Hi 15951a\ can you expand on the exhaust bolts breaking. I have an exhaust tick on start up and when I accelerate. Which exhaust bolts are you referring to? manifold? Thanks.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by tonysmach
Hi 15951a\ can you expand on the exhaust bolts breaking. I have an exhaust tick on start up and when I accelerate. Which exhaust bolts are you referring to? manifold? Thanks.
Yes, the bolts on the exhaust manifold shear and cause a ticking at startup.