Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Need advise from the Experts/Techs

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011 | 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
I know it goes off topic a bit, but since I see how this thread is going, I thought I should mention it....

I am NOT going to get into the debate over "Conventional" or "Synthetic" oils, because everytime I do it turns Ugly.....Unless the vehicle SPECIFICALLY REQUIRES it...Its your choice.

BUT...ANYTHING EQUIPPED WITH A HEMI, or anything equipped with Either MDS or VVT...REQUIRES THE USE OF 5w/20 Motor oil EXCLUSIVELY....

And in case you make a mistake, and use the wrong oil......He will be glad to tell you..

The oil control solenoids, and MDS solenoids are monitored by PCM for the amount of "BLEED DOWN TIME" in the respective system. Changing Viscosity, changes the bleed time, and PCM defaults the VVT and MDS systems, and sets a Check engine lamp. The DTC will read Improper viscosity lubricant.....
Who said they've decided the Hemi doesn't need 5w/20? That's all I ever use...

Old 02-16-2011 | 07:07 PM

Who said they've decided the Hemi doesn't need 5w/20? That's all I ever use...
Because you were smart enough to look at the filler cap, or READ THE MANUAL....

You would not believe the arguments I have had, with customers, as well as other shop owners, over this...The vehicle JUST HAD the oil changed, and the Check engine light is on.
Of course in the customers mind, Its still under warranty, but when that IMPROPER VISCOSITY code shows up, It is not a warrantable concern, due to Improper svc procedures from another shop........

I will either change the oil again, using the proper grade, at the customers expense, or refer the customer back to the Lube shop, after paying the diagnostic shop fee...

Last edited by Djinn-n-Tonic; 02-16-2011 at 07:09 PM.