Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Need help with non-working brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 09:06 PM
Default Need help with non-working brake lights

My 2008 Aspen as mysteriously deleloped a issue with the right and left brake lights not working. The third brake light on the hatch does work so that should rule out the brake switch on the pedal right?
The turn signals and park lamps also work fine. I believe that I've checked all related fuses and all seem fine. Checked the bulbs and they look good also. Called the dealer and they said that it could possibly be that the actuall bulb sockets have gone bad. What's the chance that both sides and the same socket on both sides have gone bad at the same time. I'm a former line worker from the St Louis North Plant and I'm still out of work going to school full time. I can't afford to have the dealer figure this out and there telling me to buy $100 worth of parts that probably seem to me won't fix the problem.
Any ideas guys? Sure could use some direction here!
Thanks
Cliff

Old 05-14-2012, 10:22 PM

It CAN still be the brake switch. The signal to the modules and the hardwired feed to the center are 2 separate outputs. The only way you can know if the signal is getting out is to read the data in the FCM, ABS, etc.

Anyway, the FCM controls the lower brake lamps, but the power passes through the IPM and then through the Junction Block before it gets back there. A bit of meter work involved, so make sure and check those sockets and bulbs first. I have seen both bulbs popped quite a few times on different cars. Don't let it bite you.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:06 AM

I am having the same issue with a 2007 Aspen. Right and left brake lights are out. Upper brake light still works. Replaced both bulbs and they are still out. Dealer service department stated if replacing the lights did not fix the issue it could then be the light switch. Their suggestion was to "wiggle" the switch and see if the brake lights begin to work. If not then the switch will need to be replaced.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by dpitchers
Their suggestion was to "wiggle" the switch and see if the brake lights begin to work. If not then the switch will need to be replaced.
No technician with half a brain would ever say that. Multimeters and scan tools exist for a reason. If they really said that, take your car somewhere else.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by TNtech
No technician with half a brain would ever say that. Multimeters and scan tools exist for a reason. If they really said that, take your car somewhere else.
I'm pretty sure the tech was trying to help him out by giving him a suggestion to troubleshoot it at home rather than to pay $100 for diagnostics.