Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Red circle security light on lit and nothing works

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2022, 11:49 AM
Default Red circle security light on lit and nothing works

Hello,
I have a 2008 Aspen. When I was trying to go to work yesterday morning after turning my key to the start position and after all the dashboard lights went on like everyday as usual, when I turned the key to the end to start the vehicle a "click" noise happened and all the lights went off... after that nothing works... key fobs, lights, nothing... the vehicle is dead... with the exception of a circle red lit light on the dashboard.... I though it was the battery so I replaced it and nothing happened... I tried to jump start it and nothing... I checked all fuses all fuses are good.. I tried my second key and nothing... any thoughts???
Thanks..

Old 05-06-2022, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

skim module issue a shop will need to take care of this for you

Old 05-11-2022, 08:36 AM

When the skim module is bad, do you still get power in other areas of the vehicle?

Old 05-11-2022, 08:21 PM

From what I'm reading online about the Skim Module, yes. You would still see power to other devices in the vehicle. It just won't start. Dash of course goes dead when you try to crank as it usually does even when working properly. The Skim Module is part of the security feature. It reads the codes from the Sentry keys to allow it to start. This Skim Module then sends a message to the PCM to allow it to start. If the Skim Module is not reading the codes from the keys, the PCM will not allow vehicle to start. I am also seeing multiple post about having the Skim Module disconnected so you no longer have the Sentry system, but you then have to send you PCM to someone to have it cleared of the current Skim Module. Looks to be around $100. Google Chrysler Skim Module and you will see all kinds of info on this. Only other option, like Chrysler Tech said, take it to a dealer to get it fixed.

Personally, I would first look to see if the Skim Module has become disconnected or loose. It is located under the steering column by where you insert the key. Just have to remove the cover to see it. Probably a long shot, but if it did somehow come loose, you will kick yourself if it was that simple and you have to fork out 1 hr tech fee for something you could of just plugged back in. Just don't mess with any plugs or wires that are yellow. These are for air bag system.

Old 05-12-2022, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the answer... I have no power in the entire vehicle, so I don't think skim module is my problem, I wonder if there is a main fuse somewhere in the vehicle that I can check or what else this issue could be!! I appreciate you help.

Old 05-13-2022, 08:19 PM

Update: I brought a mobile mechanic, he turned the key to the on position, connected the negative terminal and then the positive terminal and then went inside and turned it on........ I was shocked.....

Old 05-14-2022, 08:15 PM

Sounds like it may have been an actual issue with the battery/cabling then. Perhaps bad cables. I've seen that happen before. They get corrosion built up inside the cable which you can't see because the wire sheathing hides it.

Old 05-15-2022, 02:39 PM

Yes, that's a high probability!!! next time this happens I will run tests with multimeter to catch where the issue is coming from. Any suggestions?

Old 05-15-2022, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

He reset the skim module it will likely come back.