Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

04 Pacifica TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011 | 10:45 PM

It would be easier to let air out the tire, if the sensor is bad the display will never show a low tire.

Originally Posted by goldsmi
First thing to do is look at your VIN.
If the VIN is 4R499999 or higher, you have the newer TPMS system that is SKREEM-based and the following information does not apply.

If your VIN is lower than 4R499999 - mine is 4R286583 - you have the older system that is WCM (wireless control module) based so keep on reading.

The sensor is part number 5288990AC or Standard Motor Products TPM59
OE manufactured by Schrader, 433MHZ, FCC ID# MRXTG224AM02.

Sensor price varies widely. I have bought new senors for as little as $8 + shipping on eBay.
Typical price is $40+ new, $25+ used.

When a sensor is replaced the system is retrained with a magnet:
Key in ignition, turn to ON position.
Press the STEP button on the EVIC twice(?) until RETRAIN TIRE SENSORS? is displayed.
Press the RESET button.
EVIC will display TRAIN LF SENSOR.
Place a small magnet close to the base of the valve stem on the LF wheel - a washer-shaped magnet from a magnetic hook is perfect but any magnet will do.
Wait until the horn chirps to indicate that the sensor has been read - it can take 15 or 20 seconds for the confirmation so be patient.
EVIC will display TRAIN RF SENSOR
repeat process at RF wheel
EVIC will display TRAIN RR SENSOR
do it again
EVIC will display TRAIN LR SENSOR
do it again.
EVIC will display TRAINING COMPLETE

I assume you are going through all this in an attempt to rid yourself of the dreaded SERVICE TIRE SYSTEM SOON message (typically displayed when a sensor is bad) without spending an $89 diagnostic fee at the dealer only to be told that you need to replace a sensor for $100 plus the dismount/remount/rebalance charge.

Try this:
Buy a replacement sensor, either new or used - we can use it as a diagnostic aid to determine which sensor is bad, then have it installed.

Simply place your 'new' sensor on the ground next to the LF wheel (or you can sit it on top of the tire - does not matter).
Key ON
Initiate the retrain procedure as described above.
When the EVIC displays TRAIN LF SENSOR - use your magnet to train the new sensor.
When the horn chirps continue in the normal fashion.
If after all four sensors are trained, the EVIC displays 1 TIRE LOW PRESSURE- you have determined that it was the LF sensor that was causing SERVICE TIRE SYSTEM SOON.

Take the LF wheel to a tire shop and have them install the new sensor - cost will be about $25 for the dismount/remount/rebalance.

If the EVIC still displays SERVICE TIRE SYSTEM SOON, take your new sensor and move it to the RF wheel.

Enter training mode again, this time when the EVIC displays TRAIN RF SENSOR, train your new one.

You get the idea by now. Move the new sensor to each of the positions until the EVIC displays 1 TIRE LOW PRESSURE and have the sensor installed at that position.

The process only takes a couple of minutes - longer to describe than to perform.

happy troubleshooting!

Old 01-06-2011 | 06:30 PM

Not necessarily true.........

Logically it makes sense, but in real world, the sensors fail the opposite way, ...NOT REGISTERING THE ACTUAL PRESSURE IN THE TIRE, And displaying a "LOW TIRE" message when in fact one is not warranted......

Old 01-06-2011 | 07:50 PM

uhm nooo...depending on the system, there is a low AND high pressure setting. I troubleshot my *SERVICE TIRE SYSTEM SOON* indication by letting the air pressure down to about 20 psi in each tire, checking the EVIC after each tire, and narrowed it down to one bad sensor. Which was confirmed by the tire tech when they replaced my tires.

Old 01-06-2011 | 08:35 PM

Ok.....

But......We are discussing a "Low Tire" warning.....

If a sensor were to fail, and give an unwarranted message, how would deflating it help????

It works both ways, agreed, but a false reading is just that , regardless of how you slice it. A sensor that doesnt register, or a sensor that registers innaccurately, Still come up to the same issue.

Old 01-07-2011 | 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
Ok.....

If a sensor were to fail, and give an unwarranted message, how would deflating it help????

It works both ways, agreed, but a false reading is just that , regardless of how you slice it. A sensor that doesnt register, or a sensor that registers innaccurately, Still come up to the same issue.

It would not "help" in any way exept of troubleshooting by pointing out the bad one. Deflating a working sensor will cause a "two tires low pressure" warning, indicating that the deflated sensor is working. Deflating the bad one will not give any change in message.

Old 01-08-2011 | 09:09 AM

Ok.....

My comments about the troubleshooting were meant towards Madmac when the thread changed to a *STSS* only message. And the comment you made suggested that ANY failure of a sensor would cause that sensor to indicate a LOW pressure, and that the TPMS system cannot be troubleshot at home.
My vehicle had a cracked sensor (but not leaking) and I narrowed it down to the bad sensor by letting air out of the tires. As I let air out of each tire, by the time I got to 26 psi the TPMS system chimed and EVIC indicated number of tires low, except the one that I let all the way down to 20. (Note: I would not suggest this to anyone that does not have a means to service the tires back up at home)
I understand there are two different systems. On my '04 it indicates total number of low tires, but not the position.

Old 01-31-2011 | 06:06 PM
Default 04 Pacifica TPMS

Just had Michelin Primacy tires mounted on my 04 Pacifica. Got them from Tirerack (who I have used for years) at about $139 each vs. $220 for OEM MXV4. I discussed the Primacy with Tirerack and they feel it will give better service, ride, mileage than the OEM so I expect to be happy with them. If they don't work out I'll post accordingly.

Also hoped to get rid of Tire Pressure warning messages which have been a pain ever since we've owned the car - two slow leakers. My friend who mounted the tires said my chrome wheels have a tendency to lose chrome on the mounting rim which he says causes slow leak problems. He cleaned them thoroughly and I hope that eliminates the problem. Still have the Service Tire System Soon message however. He advises if it doesn't go away after a few miles, I'll need to see my dealer. I consider my dealer a friend also, so we'll see how this works out.

I have a long history with Italian (Alfa) and British (Jaguar) electrical systems, etc., so I am hoping the message goes away all by itself....

Wish me luck.

Old 01-31-2011 | 11:56 PM
Default Post Msg.

Hey Gold Guy, go to -Tire Pressure System Problem- posting and re-read msg #12. Maybe you will have to do it this way like we did and is still working fine. Good luck. *BW*

Old 04-16-2020 | 01:05 PM

Ok.....

Will a bad sensor retrain? I went around my car with a magnet and the horn beeped on all four corners, got the message retraining was complete. Checked the spare and it has no sensor. Drove it and the Check Tire System warning is still up.

Old 04-21-2020 | 01:37 PM
Default bad sensor

Originally Posted by haio
This is not correct. You need to "train" your sensors. You do this from your evic menu. Start the training procedure and activate the sensors one by one clockwise from front left wheel by holding a strong magnet to the valvestem. When the system recognice the sensor the horn will sound and you proceed with the next one.
will a bad sensor retrain?

Quick Reply: 04 Pacifica TPMS