Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

06 Pacifica lifter noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 08:20 AM
Default Bought used car Saturday, Sunday lifter noise, Buyers rights?

WE just purchased a used 2006 Pacifica. We purchased the vehicle on Saturday September 25, 2010 and by Sunday afternoon we started hearing lifter noise. Quite Loud. We stopped driving it when we heard the noise. Called the dealer that just sold us the car right away on Monday morning and the salesman wasn't in yet, but the gal who answered the phone took my message. Later in the day I hadn't heard back from the salesman yet so I called the dealer again. Talked to the salesman. Anyhow. ... They finally picked up the vehicle on Wednesday, September 29th. Today is October 9 and still no vehicle back. Monday will be 2 weeks since the purchase and haven't been able to drive the vehicle. I would love to know what a buyers rights are. We think the dealership knew about the noisy lifters and put stuff in the oil to prevent the noise long enough to sell the vehicle. We were the idiots who bought it.... I am soooooo regretting this purchase....

Old 10-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

you u will be fine let them do there job as for your rights check with your lock government it is different from state to state

Old 10-10-2010, 05:59 AM
Default Lifter noise

Having gone through this same problem myself, it's not the lifters that are the problem, it's the weight of the oil. Your dealership needs to use 10W30 and that alone should solve your problem. We've had our Pacifica for 7 years and, despite a few idiosyncrasies, we've loved it. Hang in there with your purchase.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:17 AM
Default Problem Solved

I went to Crown Dodge (Ventura, CA) and they showed me a Chrysler Notice describing the lifter noise problem. The parts dept sold me 2 rocker kits (the bulletin describes exactly what you need) and all the related gaskets. I paid about $600 for the parts and another $300 to my mechanic to exchange them (he told me he only had to pull the valve covers to replace the rocker panels). Problem solved. No more noise at all. If you have questions, call the Ventura California Crown Dodge dealer and ask for parts or service as they both were very familiar with this issue. Hope this helps. Will

Old 10-11-2010, 04:31 AM
Default Problem Solved?

I had the same $600 lifter job done on my 2004 Pacifica but it didn't solve the problem. Afterward, the technicians used the same lighter weight oil and I ended up with the same noise. It's apparently because the lifters are hydraulic and oil passes through them. The "thicker" the oil, the less "clicking" noise you'll get.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by techcarlos
techcarlos
mobiletech work now in illinois t northwest ind
you have a chrysler pacifica 300m 3.5 engine
lifter noise problems (roller rockets) prolems i can solver you problem
carlosmadero@hotmail.com
twitter: eltuso23

F-U spammer.........

Old 11-22-2010, 05:36 PM

Hate to admit it ....... but my 07 with under 23k on the 4 liter has a knock at idle that sounds like a lifter. Guess I'll acquire some of the Valve-Medic medicine just for giggles.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:45 PM

SARG, if you're under powertrain still, take a trip to the dealer. There is an updated valve train assembly for the 4.0L. We have seen some issues also with the 3.5L assemblies in the 300/Charger/Magnum also. It's the same setup we've had for years, except there was a vendor issue for a couple year models.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Default Rocker and oil shaft pins sheared off

My 2006 Pacifica had valve noise @ 77,000 miles. I had a certified pre-owned warranty (to 80K miles) so the repair was covered less $100 deductible.
From my work order
#1 Customer Reports: TICKING NOISE IN ENGINE
caused by ROCKER AND OIL SHAFT PINS SHEARED OFF CAUSING SHAFT TO ROTATE AND OIL FEEDS NOT SUPPLYING LIFTERS
REPLACED VALVE TRAIN ITEMS.

Labor was 2.60 hrs, a dozen parts, sorry I can't tell you what it would have cost w/o the warranty. I'd guess it would be a minimum of $500 or more depending on the cost of all those parts.

Oil flows up through this rods on each end of the engine ans squirts out onto the rocker arms. With the pin broken the shaft can rotate and the oil is no longer directed onto the rocker arms. This only happened on one end of the engine but my dealer replaced the rods on both ends

I don't see any reason why the pins should ever break on these rods. They are not subject to any torque. My mechanic agreed but said that he had done this repair on one other engine also.

Just today,17 months later @ 104K miles it is making the same type of noise again. That doesn't mean that it is the exact same issue again but I have my suspicions.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:04 AM
Default Broken Dowel Pins, AGAIN !

Follow up.
I finally got fed up with the valve noise and had the valve covers removed to check it out. Guess what. Same issue. The dowel pins were sheared off.

Here is where you can see a parts diagram.
http://www.berrysprinter.com/e-fiche...06-09/08L2.pdf

go to page 75.
The Dowel Pins are P/N 04573379 qty 4 C EG0 DOWEL, Rocker

The "upgrade kit" with the "improved" dowel pins is
3 05191332AB 2 C EG0 PEDESTAL PACKAGE, Rocker
Arm Shaft, Includes Both Ends
And Intermediate Pedestals Plus
Dowels

I'm guessing that it is just a thicker pin. You need a bugger hole in the pedestal to accept the bigger pin, and a corresponding bigger hole in the shaft also for the pin to pass through.

I wonder if I got this new part when the repair was done at 77k miles or the "old" one.

Mechanic says that he's never had a customer with 2 failures. Lucky me.

Quick Reply: 06 Pacifica lifter noise