Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2006 Pacifica Oil Pressure Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2020 | 07:47 AM
|
Default 2006 Pacifica Oil Pressure Light

My oil light comes on a couple of seconds after the engine is started every time. I can turn it off and restart the engine and it goes away. Always comes on the first start no matter if engine is cold or just driven a 100 miles. Shut down and restart and no light issues. Anyone run across this problem before? Any help and info would be greatly appreciated as i am stumped on this one.

Old 09-22-2020 | 12:26 PM

You didn't mention what size engine you have. The 2006 Chrysler Pacifica comes with two engines to select from the 3.5l v6 and the 3.8l v6.

Do you know what grade of oil was used in your last oil change?
  • The 3.5l v6 engine option takes 5.5 quarts of 10w30 synthetic oil.
  • The 3.8l v6 engine needs 5 quarts of 5w20 synthetic oil.
It is my belief that the oil that was used in the last oil change may have been substituted with a much heavier weight oil. A Heavier (thicker grade) oil will not get to the vital parts of the engine quickly enough at the initial startup. Please always check with your owner's manual. I would highly recommend getting an oil and filter change as soon as possible.

Is it throwing codes? You may also want to check the oil pressure sensor / switch

Last edited by stephenjxn; 09-22-2020 at 12:31 PM. Reason: adding more information
Old 09-22-2020 | 01:51 PM
|

Sorry, It is a 3.5L. I do not know when the oil was last changed since i recently inherited this vehicle. I am changing the oil today and will be using Castrol GTX 10W-30W with a Mopar filter. It is not throwing any codes. I purchased a oil sending unit and I will try to change it out after lunch.

Old 09-22-2020 | 02:13 PM

Good Job! Looks like you're heading in the right direction.

Old 09-23-2020 | 11:32 PM
|

Since the oil pressure switch is so difficult to get at, I decided to try something else first. It is a 5.5 oil capacity system. I added 1 quart of MMO to the oil in hopes that it will loosen any sludge that might be causing the problem. I am going to make a 500 mile trip. It will be a 1,000 miles or better total when I return. If the problem still exists then, i will change the oil sending unit. Will post the outcome when I return.
The reason for trying this is the vehicle has sat undriven for the last 3 or 4 years. In the last 7 years it has only been driven about 35 miles on short stints. I figure running it for about 10 to 12 hours might clean any sludge build up, or at least loosen it up. With 55,000 original miles on it and it only used for 5 to 10 minutes most of the time, it has to have some gunk in it.

Old 09-28-2020 | 09:58 AM

Oil sensor is a little hard to get at, but easier than many other items on the Pac. Hope you get the oil pressure thing worked out!

Old 09-30-2020 | 04:06 PM
|

Thanks djetelina for the diagram. Wish the engine was out on a stand so i could easily get to the sending unit.

Old 09-30-2020 | 04:09 PM
|

Okay, current update. I just returned from a 1000 mile trip. Oil and Filter change made no difference. Next thing to do is change the oil sending unit. Do not understand why the light comes on on first start but will stay out if shut off and restarted again. I fear I am going to wear the starter out cranking it twice every time I have to go somewhere.

Old 09-30-2020 | 04:11 PM
|

I will not have time to change the unit for a few days, but will update when I do.

Stumpedmech

Old 10-05-2020 | 09:20 PM

My 2005 was wet with oil at the oil pressure switch. Replaced it and no issues for 1 year plus.

Quick Reply: 2006 Pacifica Oil Pressure Light