Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Confusing Air Conditioner A/C issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017 | 01:36 PM
|
Default Confusing Air Conditioner A/C issue

I just had my condenser replaced in my 07 Pacifica 2WD, and the mechanic shop was convinced this was the issue to why I did not have air. Drove it home today and the lowest vent temp I can get is 75 F. Outside temp is about 72 today.

What started happening was this. The air just started not blowing cold one day. I put 1 can of Freon in it and it fixed it. 2 days later, no cold air again. I put 2 cans in it this time and 2 days later, same issue. no cold air. He said after a lot of dye ran through it, it was not leaking anywhere at all but then all of the sudden he said he had a puddle of dye under the front bumper on his shop floor. He inspected the condenser and seen a large hole.

So, new condenser but no air. He is boggled because he said everything is working as it should mechanically. The compressor is kicking on and running. Any ideas?

Old 05-03-2017 | 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

mmm you have the issue at your hands its a leak. Now after the condenser replacement either A another leak or B he did not charge p the freon enough. When you picked it up was it working fine? f it was then after soe time not working again there is still a leak some whee then

Old 05-04-2017 | 07:43 AM
|

I do not think it is a leak because he showed me the pressure when i picked it up and it was exactly the same this morning when he looked at it. And no, it never worked fine after condenser replacement. Now we have noticed that the air is 20 degrees colder on the right side vents vs. the left side vents. We are investigating a blend door or actuator issue or possibly a climate control module issue. I ordered another climate control module off ebay. I will see if that makes any difference before we go tearing the dash apart.

Old 05-04-2017 | 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

no its low freon

Old 05-05-2017 | 12:30 AM
|

If the only think that was wrong with it was being low on Freon, wouldn't it be blowing the same temperature throughout all of the vents. Not a 20 degree temperature between the two sides?

Old 05-05-2017 | 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

do you have duel air? Control for one side or for 2 if you have one side then you have one door to control the air temp.
Here is what you said tell me if im wrong.

Drove it home today and the lowest vent temp I can get is 75 F. Outside temp is about 72 today. Now we have noticed that the air is 20 degrees colder on the right side vents vs. the left side vents

SO after the condenser replacement it was not cold and few days later only half gets cold not the other? Thats low freon.

Some physics of how an ac system works. The evaporator is like a small radiator a convection heat exchanger. The evap has freon that flow through i when its a gas it absorbs heat as the air passes through the first it trapped the heat in the freon to be expelled on down the line. If the system holds 2.88 lbs which i think yours does. If there is only ay 1.5 lbs in there well then it can only trap and hold so much heat until it cant do it anymore. So what happens as the air flows over the fins the freon is doing a zig zag motion from top to bottom then out the line. If the freon it tapped out so to speak cant absorb any more heat half the heat is removed from the air passing through to get to you. Once that air is past the evap it then gets directed t floor or face or mix half goes to driver half goes to pass. The evap is closesr to the pass so that will be colder than the air going to the driver.

Old 05-06-2017 | 12:24 AM
|

Yes, it is the dual climate control system. He has put the machine on it two times to gas it up and each time he said its full and has not lost any gas so, that is a little confusing. I have ordered a new climate control panel module. I read of a lot of people having to replace them. Also, I took it back yesterday and his diagnostic machine said that it had tried several times to engage or disengage (I am probably using the wrong words) the blend door and actuators and failed a few times. It has 3, no I think, 4 actuators. He suspects that an actuator might not be turning a certain blend door properly.

Old 05-08-2017 | 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

A/C COOL DOWN TEST
The A/C-heater control module can perform an A/C cool down test, which is a test performed during the manufacturing process to confirm that the A/C system is performing satisfactorily. This test can also provide a quick confirmation of A/C system performance to the service technician. If the test is completed satisfactorily, no further service is required. If the test is failed, proceed to the A/C Performance Test to confirm the A/C system is operating properly, or use a scan tool to diagnose the A/C system control and distribution systems. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.

AUTOMATIC TEMPERATURE CONTROL
The ambient air temperature in the room where the vehicle will be tested must be a minimum of 21° C (70° F) for this test. The test is activated by depressing the A/C and PWR buttons simultaneously and holding them depressed for no less than four seconds. The snowflake icon and the DELAY text in the A/C-heater control display will blink on and off alternately until the test is complete. If the snowflake icon and the DELAY text stop blinking before two minutes, then the cool down test has been completed successfully. If the two minutes expire without the evaporator temperature reaching 11° C (20° F) less than the evaporator initial temperature, then the cool down test has been failed and further A/C system diagnosis is required. If the test is failed, the snowflake icon and the DELAY text will continue to blink across ignition cycles until the vehicle has been driven for greater than 12 km (8 miles)

Old 05-10-2017 | 03:56 PM
|

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
A/C COOL DOWN TEST
The A/C-heater control module can perform an A/C cool down test, which is a test performed during the manufacturing process to confirm that the A/C system is performing satisfactorily. This test can also provide a quick confirmation of A/C system performance to the service technician. If the test is completed satisfactorily, no further service is required. If the test is failed, proceed to the A/C Performance Test to confirm the A/C system is operating properly, or use a scan tool to diagnose the A/C system control and distribution systems. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.

The ambient air temperature in the room where the vehicle will be tested must be a minimum of 21° C (70° F) for this test. The test is activated by depressing the A/C and PWR buttons simultaneously and holding them depressed for no less than four seconds. The snowflake icon and the DELAY text in the A/C-heater control display will blink on and off alternately until the test is complete. If the snowflake icon and the DELAY text stop blinking before two minutes, then the cool down test has been completed successfully. If the two minutes expire without the evaporator temperature reaching 11° C (20° F) less than the evaporator initial temperature, then the cool down test has been failed and further A/C system diagnosis is required. If the test is failed, the snowflake icon and the DELAY text will continue to blink across ignition cycles until the vehicle has been driven for greater than 12 km (8 miles)
Thanks for the reply.
So mine does not have the AC button. It does have PWR and a SNOWFLAKE button but no AC button. Were these instructions for another model maybe? Mine is 2007 with dual climate control.

Old 08-05-2022 | 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
A/C COOL DOWN TEST

Completed test. It passes. The problem with mine is that the ac system discharged (saw a steam/gas come out of the left front side) and now It reads 90 PSI on both high and low side. Do I need to replace the coil in the front end?

Quick Reply: Confusing Air Conditioner A/C issue