Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Confusing Air Conditioner A/C issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2022 | 10:14 AM

Reads 90 psi on both the high and low side? Seriously? Are you reading the pressures with the system NOT running? If you are reading it with the system running, then your compressor is completely not working. If the system can hold 90 psi then the "coil on the front end" as you call it (it's called the condenser) is not leaking.

Old 08-12-2022 | 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Old 08-13-2022 | 05:00 AM
Default Help me Mr. Wizard

I saw the discharge from the condenser when I stopped at a stop light. I have the engine and ac running full blast. The pressure on both the high and low side reads 80 psi when first connecting the goes up to 95 psi. Could the condenser have ruptured so that the high pressure could not be held and that the low pressure of 80-95 psi can be maintained or is there a pressure regulator on this system? The pulley and clutch are fully engaging when the system is turned on. So my compressor seems to be working.

Old 08-14-2022 | 09:39 AM

If the condenser ruptured, all the refrigerant would leak out immediately. You would get 0 psi on both sides. If there is pressure in the system, it must be closed. It cannot be ruptured. If the compressor is working, the pressure on the "high" side should be much higher than the pressure on the "low" side. That's how the system works, the compressor "compresses" the refrigerant (that's why it's called a compressor) to a high pressure. If the pressure readings are the same on both sides then something is very wrong somewhere. Are you sure you are connecting the pressure gauges properly? You might want to get a book on A/C systems and read up on the subject to get a better understanding of what is going on and how to properly use the equipment.

Old 08-14-2022 | 11:09 AM

Okay, if you going to be insulting. I think I will wait on someone else to answer my thread. You are telling me I did not see what I saw, and that I am not seeing the problems that I know I am seeing. You have not explained the escaping gas/freon. I no longer have 4.4 lbs. I have vacuum pumped it out. I only have 2.3 lbs in my vacuum container. The system will not hold a vacuum overnight. I put a 10psi vacuum on it and left it overnight. It read 0 psi the next morning. So there has to be a leak some where. Now with out insulting me tell me where to start. My bet is still the condenser since that is the only part of the ac system in the area that I saw the gas/freon escape from.

Old 08-14-2022 | 04:49 PM

I had the very same issues. The freon recharge would only last a few weeks. It DID turn out to be my condensor.

Old 08-14-2022 | 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

ok so What DCotter said was not insulting its basic physics . I have a few small questions and I can answers what you saw and why you saw it.
Number 1 What's the year make model engine size car we are working on?
Number 2 There are no Chrysler Dodge Jeep cars or vans what will have 4.4 lbs of freon in the system. SO if you put that much freon in a van the max is 2.88 lbs so what you saw was the pressure release valve on the compressor spitting it out.
Number 3 Put dye into the system recharge it just a little bit like 1 LB and see where it leaks from Any place where the freon goes can leak cant tell you what or where no one here is at your house to look.