Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

help with brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Default help with brakes

What is the trick to getting the caliper off the rotor on the rear of my 2004 Pacifica? I cant get the caliper past the inside of the rotor, both bolts are off but it is still hung up on the inside. I could use some help before I go get the sledge hammer.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Default RE: help with brakes

From the manual re: rear brakes//// Note: >>> From 2007 DVD

NOTE: In some cases, it may be necessary to retract caliper piston in its bore a small amount in order to provide sufficient clearance between shoes and rotor to easily remove caliper from knuckle. This can usually be accomplished before guide pin bolts are removed, by grasping rear of caliper and pulling outward working with guide pins, thus retracting piston. Never push on piston directly as it may get damaged

Old 04-04-2008, 03:31 PM

More info from manual

6. Remove caliper assembly from brake adapter by first rotating bottom of caliper away from rotor, then lifting caliper (with shoes) away from upper adapter abutment.

7. Remove outboard brake pad by pushing pad away from caliper fingers, dislocating locating pins (1) built into pad backing plate from holes (3) in caliper fingers, then sliding brake pad down and off of brake caliper.
8. Pull inboard brake shoe away from caliper piston, dislocating retaining clip from cavity in piston. Remove inboard shoe.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:38 PM

INSTALLATION
1. Completely retract caliper piston back into bore of caliper. Use hand pressure or a C-clamp may be used to retract piston, first placing a wood block over piston before installing C-clamp to avoid damaging piston.

2. Position inboard pad retainer clip (1) against piston (2) cavity. Firmly press against pad lining by hand until retainer clip seats itself in piston cavity groove. Be sure inboard brake pad backing plate is flush against caliper piston.

CAUTION: Outboard brake pads are side oriented. Make sure spring clip on each pad is installed so it is positioned downward once caliper is installed.
3. Position outboard brake pad locating pins (1) against ramps built into caliper fingers. Slide pad onto caliper. Be sure locating pins on pad are squarely seated into holes (2) in caliper and pad is flat against caliper fingers.
4. Make sure abutment shims are in place on both upper and lower slide abutments of caliper adapter.

CAUTION: Use care when installing caliper assembly onto adapter so guide pin bushings and sleeves do not get damaged by mounting bosses on adapter.
5. Retract caliper guide pins to clear mounting bosses on caliper adapter when installing caliper.
6. Install brake caliper (4) in opposite way it was removed. Starting with upper end, carefully position caliper and brake pads over brake rotor and align outboard pad's upper edge with caliper slide abutment. Rotate lower end of caliper into mounting position on adapter (3).
CAUTION: Extreme caution should be taken not to cross-thread caliper guide pin bolts when they are installed.
7. Carefully install caliper guide pin bolts (2). Tighten bolts to 23 N·m (17 ft. lbs.).

8. Install tire and wheel assembly (1) (Refer to 22 - TIRES/WHEELS - INSTALLATION). Install and tighten wheel mounting nuts (3) to 135 N·m (100 ft. lbs.).
9. Lower vehicle.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:50 PM

picture.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5355/24D8718C062040C28CF92DDACDFE6CE6.gif[/IMG]

Old 04-04-2008, 07:17 PM

I still cant get the calliper off, the back of the calliper closests to the axle has a small peice that goes on the inside of the rotor. When I try to pull it away it hangs up on the inside edge. Do I need to take the calliper apart first? There doesnt seem any way to get it out from behind the rotor.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:39 AM

Read post #2 again. I have not done brakes on a Pacifica yet but it says ( to paraphrase _

gently pull on the caliper assembly which should cause the inboard pad to push or seat the piston back inside its housing enough to give you clearance to slide it off the rotor.

Theinstructions also say to pivot the caliper from the bottom to get it up & off the rotor.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:16 AM

Thanks, I'll go try it again

Old 04-05-2008, 09:21 AM

Still no luck, theres a 2 inch space in the housing for the calliper that a flange on the back of the calliper has to pass through in order to remove it. The top and bottom of this space is slightly covered by the rotor. That sledge hammer is starting to look better and better.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:30 AM

This is a picture of the rear caliper as shown in the 07 DVD....... perhaps it was changed.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5355/92BA4C69B01B4C4987EA30005CAF069A.gif[/IMG]

DOES THE FLANGE YOU MENTION NEED TO BE REMOVED ?

Quick Reply: help with brakes