Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Pacifica PHEV Dead Battery Woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2022 | 08:53 PM
|
Default Pacifica PHEV Dead Battery Woes

First-time poster here, I saw a similar thread titled "dead battery adventures".

I have a '21 Pacifica Hybrid with ~8600mi on it. We drive it roughly daily, in the Phoenix valley, and it runs/works great.

In November (Van 6m old, ~6,000mi), we drove it up north, and it was cold. Probably mid-20s at night. When I came out, the van wouldn't start. I went to neighbors, jump-started with their assistance, and drove to the local dealer. The dealer pulled the codes, tested and charged the battery, and told me all was fine and sent me on my way. We stayed up here a few more days, and it ran fine and started fine after that.

We came back up north Thursday, Van started Friday. Van Saturday wouldn't start. I was prepared for this and brought a battery charger. I tried charging for hours. Jump starting with the neighbor, nothing. We called Chrysler and they towed us. Dealer.... tested battery. The battery is fine. Codes only show low voltage. Charged battery, test drove it a bunch, promised it was fine and sent me on my way. Went out today (Sunday morning)... van is bricked again. Won't start. Throws all kinds of errors. This time I tried disconnecting the 12 V battery and charging it directly for hours, hoping to zero out the computer could reset it. No dice.

I'm planning on getting it towed again first thing tomorrow (dealer closed Sundays). This whole experience makes me sick.... it ruins our vacations and I can't trust the van. My wife and toddler get stuck in the cabin we're in when the van is down, we were stuck here all day, it's atrocious that the dealer can't fix it and strands us like this. I'll keep you posted, sharing in case others have similar experiences or insights.

Old 03-11-2022 | 06:04 PM
|

I just got back from the dealer. Their advice, I'm not exaggerating, is to "get a lawyer and go after Chrysler." They told me they could not duplicate the problem and said there was nothing they "could do". I tried to insist that there was nothing they "would do", because they could take the vehicle north and duplicate, but we just went around and around and got nowhere. I have recorded each conversation with this local dealer, and the dealer up north, so I guess if I do have to go the legal route at least I have documentation of each saying they can't fix it.

After I walked out to the car, the manager I was talking to came out and showed me a segment of a f/w update/fix the van had, but he told me he couldn't tell me when it took the update only "after August". The problem first occurred in November. One fix/error is: "Vehicle may not achieve propulsion through a cold key crank if the HV battery was not conditioned using thermal periodic wake-up feature at critical cold temperatures around -33*C (-27*F) even if the vehicle was left plugged into a charger for an extended period of time." This does sound similar, but we only saw +25*F about, so it's nowhere near that cold, and only one night.

This also sounds like a recurrent issue others may be having, I'll update with URL here I can't find it now.

I also contacted Chrysler customer service, they insisted that "we can fix your car". I'm still awaiting call back from an advisor who can supposedly tell me what to do next. If I don't hear back in the next few days, I think my options are to take it back north when it's cold and brick the car and refuse to take it back until fixed, or pursue lemon lawsuit. :/ It's a bummer, as I'd hate to get rid of it in this climate.

This is the second new Chrysler product I've owned, the other a '13 Rubicon I still have. My next vehicle will be either a Bronco or an Odyssey, Chrysler's support thus far has been horrendous.

Old 03-11-2022 | 06:06 PM
|
Old 03-22-2022 | 09:01 AM

We have a '21 Pacifica Hybrid and are located in Cleveland. It's in the garage at night, but outside at my wife's work all day. We've had temps well below 25 and our battery issues have never been due to the temperature.

Speaking of the 12V battery, how does that get charged? How can it die on a car with a huge high voltage battery?

Old 03-22-2022 | 10:14 AM
|

Good to hear! I'm assuming most run in the winter fine, our is a lemon.

There's a high voltage disconnect which disconnects the HV battery from the systems. The disconnect is generally open (not connected) when the vehicle isn't running. There's a voltage converter between the HV and LV systems which allows the van to charge the AGM battery in the rear.

Old 03-22-2022 | 02:41 PM

Appreciate the info. Those disconnects much be all the clicks I hear when plugging it in to charge.