Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

1997 Chrysler Town&Country - no turn signals, overhead computer out, no front blower

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 08:28 PM
Default 1997 Chrysler Town&Country - no turn signals, overhead computer out, no front blower

I put on my left turn signal as I was approaching a traffic light. Nothing. I noticed my overhead computer was out as well. In addition, my front blower was not blowing.

Everything else seemed to work. Turns out it was a blown fuse 12 (10A). Replaced the fuse. Fried it.

Took it to a mechanic. Was told “...traced problem to transmission range switch in side on the valve body with connector to range switch not connected fuse doesn’t blow...”

So, I know the range selector is the basically the gear indicators, PRND3L. I have a chilton’s but having trouble finding the range selector switch. I am not sure where to look. When he says “...in side...” do you think perhaps he means “..inside the vehicle..” What valve body is he referring to?

The advisor says it is a costly to replace the switch. So the mechanic did something with the wiring and put a 15A fuse where a 10A is called for. And it still blows the 15A.

My questions are:

1) Is it safe to drive with the selector switch disengaged? I will know what gear it is in...

2) Is this a part that a somewhat competent and patient person can replace? Where do I start looking.

I will speak with the advisor tomorrow for some more clarification but thought I would reeach out to the community for help first. I will keep you posted...thank you.