Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2.5 crd running cool

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 05:29 PM

I agree......I didn't use a second hand stat when mine failed.

But if you were really on a tight budget it would save quite a bit of cash.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:52 AM

Did you do the work yourself? If so, any chance you can detail the work you did to get at it?

I was going to leave mine alone, but after a few long runs now that the weather is cold, The auxiliary heater is running almost constantly to keep the car warm, so I'm probably best replacing it.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:37 PM

Yeah I did it myself.

You have to remove the wiper module to get access (the plastic tray under the windscreen that houses the wiper motor and all the mechanical linkages for the wipers) Take the wiper arms off and take the cover off the module. The module is only held on by a few bolts then it lifts off the bulkhead and gives (limited) access to the thermostat.

You will need a spring clip remote release tool....looks like pliers, but with about 2 feet of cable attached to it, and the jaws are at the end of the cable to enable you to grip the spring clips on the coolant pipes on the stat.......there is simply no way to grab the spring clips with normal pliers because of the access.

The stat itself is only held on by 2 or 3 bolts if memory serves be correctly. If I was doing the job again I'd support the engine and take the left engine mount off (timing belt side) that would allow a good few inches of movement up and down and forward and back, which could have made all the difference to access.

Can't think of anything else.....I spent alot of time trawling the web trying to find a pattern version of the part, It doesn't exhist. Dealer part only.

Good luck!

Old 11-16-2010, 07:38 AM

Thanks for that - on reflection, don't fancy the idea of removing the engine mount, so with the fact that I'd have to buy the remote tool, I may as well put it into my local mechanic at some point - they'd almost certainly be quicker than me, I may only be looking at £80 labour anyway, which is offset by the £30 cost of the tool.

I'll give them your instructions though - that'll help :-)

Old 11-16-2010, 07:51 AM

I don't blame you.

The engine mount doesn't have to come off. (i didn't take it off) It's just that in hindsight I think it would have made the job easier.

Expect a mechanic to charge about 3 hrs labour.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by booke23
I spent alot of time trawling the web trying to find a pattern version of the part, It doesn't exhist. Dealer part only.

Good luck!
Yeah, I spent ages trying to find an alternative, without success, and no cheap new parts on ebay. Best I've seen is about £140.

Until today, that it, when I came across this...

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Ch...813c96f8e&TSTA

Not sure yet if this is the right part - but it's £65 so it's not a standard thermostat. Eurocarparts is out of stock and no picture on the site, but I've emailed vernet (in France) to see if I can get more details. Will post back on here with the results.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:38 PM

That sounds promising. Would be great if Vernet have started making a version of the thermostat.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:35 PM

Not so hopeful - got a picture from Eurocarparts, and it doesn't look like what I'm expecting. In theory, this is supposed to fit a 2001 to 2004 Voyager CRD. Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails 2.5 crd running cool-thermostat.jpg  
Old 11-18-2010, 04:54 PM

It doesn't look like the chrysler part. The basic housing is the right idea but it doesn't look like the pipe inlets are in the right places at all.

If you were doing the job yourself you could just order the part and give it a go. If it didn't fit then you could nip off to chrysler (check they've got stock before you dismantle your car!) and get their part and send the other one back to eurocarparts.

But i'd agree that it's not so hopeful.

Theres a pic of the chrysler part here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THERMOSTAT-CHR...item483b031331

Last edited by booke23; 11-18-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:20 PM

Yep, that's the one I was looking at when I said about £140. But by chance, yesterday, a brand new just like that one came up on ebay yesterday for about £50 including postage so I snapped it up.

Quick Reply: 2.5 crd running cool