Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2003 Voyager SE 2.5TD - Strange "Ticking Noise"...is it a Bomb?? lol

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 06:25 AM

How do I dissable this thing? I deffo don't want anything fitted that effects fuel economy, especially seeing as it runs all the time due to the car not reaching temp! I live near Manchester Airport.. ..do any of you guys live anywhere near me? New thermostats the way forward too me thinks! Are the ebay ones OK?
Cheers

Andy

Old 03-26-2013, 06:56 AM

If you replace the thermostat, then the aux heater will only be on for 10 mins.
I bought one on ebay from Lativa, looked exaclty the same as the one removed, and so far has been on the car for 15,000miles, still going strong (touch wood)

I know others had dissabled their aux heaters, but I dont really see the point (unless you never plan to change the thermostat).

BTW, the heater doesnt come on if you have a 1/4 tank of fuel or less

Old 03-26-2013, 01:27 PM

Do any of you guys live near Manchester and if so can you reccomend someone to do the job? Cheers Andy

Old 03-26-2013, 02:36 PM

- no, but ask for goggs, he went down your route recently

Old 03-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Default Time Bomb Not.

Hi, extra point here but lets start. Gauge only going to 1/4 means you need a new Thermostat unit costing around £60 from latvia and as said it is the right unit as fitted by Chrysler. As too the ticking these guys on hear have given the answer, Aux-heater, even said why it ticks, bloody hell their good, even I'm impressed.
Now I'd advise you to remove it as I almost knackered my engine when I drove it away one night not realising I had left alot of coolant on the driveway. Found on stripping unit down (pictures I'll try and get on here) the heat exchanger had fractured and well the coolant was leaking out. Drove car back with temp gauge in red for a good few miles, think I'm lucky its ok.
Anyway I dropped heater with its tray after draining coolant via the two hoses conected to it and disconnected the power plug. The heater was then unscrewed off the tray, (2 screws sheared off). I then bought a meter of coolant hose from my motorfactors, connected it to the pipes from the engine using same clips and secured this loop of hose in the tray to same position below car. Tied power plug up below after sealing contacts.
No indication comes up on dash as to it being missing. Have noticed replacement heat exchangers on E-Bay from same Latvia soarce.
Think I got it all.
Will try for pics separately.
Goggs...

Old 03-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Default Pictures of heater..

Hi, lets try. One picture shows heater on tray. One shows heat exchanger inside it. Another electronics. Think you'll recognise the firing head.
Goggs..

Attached Thumbnails 2003 Voyager SE 2.5TD - Strange "Ticking Noise"...is it a Bomb?? lol-aux-heater-2a.jpg   2003 Voyager SE 2.5TD - Strange "Ticking Noise"...is it a Bomb?? lol-aux-heater-3.jpg   2003 Voyager SE 2.5TD - Strange "Ticking Noise"...is it a Bomb?? lol-aux-heater-2.jpg   2003 Voyager SE 2.5TD - Strange "Ticking Noise"...is it a Bomb?? lol-aux-heater-5.jpg  
Old 03-26-2013, 03:36 PM
Default Bonus Thermostat.

Hi, here's the thermostat picture...

Attached Thumbnails 2003 Voyager SE 2.5TD - Strange "Ticking Noise"...is it a Bomb?? lol-voyager-thermostat..jpg  
Old 03-26-2013, 04:08 PM

Goggs...thanks for the awesome poniters fella. Unfortunately it says i dont have the rights to view pics so please could you do me a mahoosive favour and email the pics to me at ambirch@hotmail.com ?? I thought these heaters actually burned Diesel as im told the "Hoovering noise" is the pre-heaters fuel pump along with the smoke that comes out of the small pipe midway down the car on the passengers side??? Im guessing if this is the case its taking fuel from somehwere in the engine bay....how did you block that off?

Cheers

Andy

Old 03-26-2013, 04:11 PM

Buying Chrysler parts from latvia sounds extremely random but im presuming this is the right Thermostat i need for my 2003 SE 2.5 CRD? :- Thermostat Chrysler Voyager/Grand Voyager 2.5 CRD 2002- | eBay

Old 03-26-2013, 04:18 PM

Travelmad/Goggs......To replace this its wiper blades off, wiper panel off and bobs yr uncle access wise? Im guessing I need a Genuine "Mopar" (lol) Tool to remove the pesky spring clips too? Do I need to drain and refill the whole cooling system or just remove old unit, refit new unit and top up radiator, run engine then top up header tank? There isnt any daft renauly type bleed nipples anywhre on the cooling system is there??

Cheers

Andy

Quick Reply: 2003 Voyager SE 2.5TD - Strange "Ticking Noise"...is it a Bomb?? lol