Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2010 Brake shudder

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 02:22 PM

I have a 2010 Chyrsler Grand Voyager LX, as its known in South Africa. Bought it brand new and have had brake shudder issues right from the go. Vehicle's been into Chyrsler several times duiring which Chrysler's skimmed the front dics and even had them replaced. I've now had enough and have instructed Chrysler to provide a permanent solution.

I'm not surprised that you also have the same issue, as do several other Chrysler owners in my area, in South Africa. I am surprised however that there is a general sense of complacency w.r.t. this issue. I believe that Chrysler needs to take ownership of this defect and have it sorted. Right?

Chrslyer South Africa however seem to suggest that I am responsible for warping the dics by supposedly braking too hard on them and thereby causing heat spots on the dics which lead to the warping...Am I missing something here, or is Chrysler just not willing to take responsibility?

Your comments would be appreciated...

Old 07-05-2012, 11:05 PM

Sorry to dig up an old thread, especially for my first post, but is this the general consensus that the rotors are too small? I have a 2009 and I have this issue as well. I was wondering if it was due to overactive ABS? I brought mine back to the dealer when I got the notice in the mail about the brake warranty extension. It was only the front brakes, and the dealer said that the rear's were warped and the pads worn beyond limits. It is really getting on my nerves, I am considering trading it in for a full size pickup, but I love the versatility and gadgets, which is why I bought it in the first place... Thanks for the help!

Old 07-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Default Brakes Fixed for 2012

The rotors were definitly to small on my 2009. I'm a hydraulic brake systems engineer and know that problem very well and that systemic issue doesn't have anything to do with the ABS. I recently bought a 2012 and the front brakes are completely different, and MUCH better. Larger diameter rotors (They had to go to bigger wheels to fit them), bigger calipers. The vehicle stops like it should even fully loaded hauling a trailer. No more warped rotors and the pads have more than 1/2 of their life left at 25k miles. Not sure what in the world took Chrysler so long to fix the problem but they did. I should also point out that the new traction control system works a heck of a lot better which is part of the brake system. It will actually throttle back the engine during traction events/wheel slip.
I hated my 2009 T&C and was about to replace it with a Suburban, but I'm happy I took the risk on the 2012 T&C. Chrysler fixed about everything I didn't like and it performs very well.

Just as a side note the new powertrain performs a LOT better also. Better fuel economy and dramatically improved shifting. AC pumps cold air on idle in 104 degree heat. Now if they could just fix the rotten nav system...