Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2015 Violent Vibration/Power Loss in Low RPM Range

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 02:24 PM
Default 2015 Violent Vibration/Power Loss in Low RPM Range

Odd experience today with our 2015. Driving along on the highway at 70 or so (6th gear). All the sudden, we feel a fairly violent vibration and loss of power. Adjusting RPM caused it to lessen and downshifting caused it to completely go away. Was able to replicate that it happens under load and lower RPM only. If RPMs are higher the issue is not present but it happens in all gears at lower RPM. When trans in neutral, engine revs normally throughout the range so I think it is drivetrain related. No MIL triggered (checked code too - none held) - however the flashing MIL came on while vibration occurred - I think it was simply triggering the knock sensor - once the car returned to normal the MIL would turn off and it never held a code.

I have noticed intermittent stutter in the TC at stoplights when taking off but never anything other than that - never thought much of it as I have had cars that do that for years with no ill effects. Trans fluid was changed about 6 months ago with proper Chrysler ATF fluid when I replaced the cooler lines and filter. I'm thinking CV joint or TC issue? It almost feels like at certain RPMs the TC starts to stall and thus the power interruption at higher speed is causing a vibration.

Anyone experienced anything similar or have any troubleshooting tips?

Thanks!
-Phil

Old 05-31-2021, 02:27 PM

Also I should state I checked the fluid level on the trans with the special dipstick and the entire underside of the car is free from any fluid (so no leak/fluid loss).

Old 06-01-2021, 12:40 PM

If the MIL triggered there will be a stored code (confirmed/active at one time when the MIL lit but no longer active). You will need to get the codes scanned, the stored codes in particular. I do not believe that auto parts stores will report on stored codes. A good hand help scanner will do this. Note there are 3 code types, pending, confirmed and stored. Pending codes are conditions that have occurred but not frequent enough to 'confirm' it and light the MIL. Once the condition has cleared, the confirmed code is cleared and the MIL is turned off. Stored codes generally stay around for 40 or so engine starts.

Old 06-01-2021, 12:43 PM

Thanks - I do have a proper OBDII scanner (connects to computer) which can view pending, confirmed, and stored. The only stored code was a single misfire event from about 300 miles ago. Nothing recently. No other codes present.

Old 06-02-2021, 09:14 PM

Well after driving around for a while I was finally able to get it to throw a code - misfire #6. Pulled the intake, took out all plugs (looked OK) and went ahead and replaced them. Reinstalled #6 coil in #1 position to see if the issue follows. If it does, we have a bad coil and I can easily replace that one since its not under the intake.

Old 10-27-2021, 02:13 PM
Default 2015 Town and Country vibration and power loss at low rpm

Hi. We have a 2015 town and country. It has about 166,000 kilometres on it. It started to idle a bit roughly, and then lose power every so often. Then it started to shake violently at lower rpm. (Vibrations like driving over rumble strips) Anything below 2500 rpm was bad. Speed made no difference.

Got it checked out. Code said misfire cylinder 1. We thought it was spark plugs. Replaced them all. No difference. Then the number 1 coil was replaced. Still no difference. I find when it is cold, it sometimes works a bit better.

then tried cleaning fuel injector. Still no difference.

any suggestions?