Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

99 T&C keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Default 99 T&C keyless entry

sorry, I don't have the time or the higher brain functions to do a search for this. I have bought an additional remote for my T&C. I tried following the directions in the owners manual to no avail. the directions in the manual seem to be on crack or they are assuming I am more intelligent than I am but my wife who is miss neuroscience major couldn't get it to work either. Are we missing something?

as you can tell I am having a rather bad day and nothing wants to co-operate with me today and I just need one thing to go right.

Last edited by bdab; 02-13-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:54 AM

nobody? guessing I am just a retard them

Old 02-14-2009, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

inorder to program new remotes U will need 2 working ones to start with.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:51 AM

is that it then, it only came with 1 remote. I new I should have made the dealership I bought the van from include a second remote.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:21 PM

As the directions in the owners manual say, you can do it with only one pre-programmed remote. (Chryslertech-- maybe you're thinking of the Sentry Key System) Anyway, make sure your "new" remote is exactly the same as your existing one (check the FCC number on the back) and make sure it has a good battery. Depending where you bought your additional remote, it is also possible that the remote is broken. Places like AutoZone have a free tester that can tell if it is putting out a signal.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:13 PM

thats it then, not only is the FCC ID different (really really close) but the part number is different. but I got it from the Chrysler dealership I bought the car from.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:03 AM

Your existing key fob is working right?

Also, it is possible that there is an updated part number that will work with your van-- only a dealer would know that. You may want to ask them to check and exchange it for the right thing if needed. Don't forget to take it to Autozone, Advance Auto or somewhere like that and test if the fob is putting out an RF signal. The dealer should be able to test that for you for free too (free since they sold you the new part and should take care of you if it is not working.)

You can also get a used fob with the exact part number and FCC number from several sellers on eBay.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:23 PM

really I think you got no Idea how much I hate this car. I had a Saturn right before this minivan. I had the Saturn for 10 years and put maybe $500 in parts into it (excluding tires). I have had this T&C for not quite 2 years and have almost $5000 in it in parts and labor and this remote is just another on a long list that is torquing my jaw.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:29 AM

I hear ya. I do all my own repair work and I've had to do the following in the last three years (that I can remember):

1) Replaced coil (engine running a little rough)
2) Replaced MAP sensor (engine running a little rough)
3) Replaced liftgate latch (power function wouldn't work)
4) Replaced torque converter (Converter clutch failed)
5) Replaced 3 fan speed control modules
6) Replaced blower motor (probably caused the 3 modules to fail)
7) Replaced brake rotors and pads all around
8) Repaired EVAP system
9) Repaired rusty coolant lines
10) Replaced interior temperature sensors
11) Replaced valve cover seals (leak)
12) Replaced the swaybar links
13) Flushed the power steering with ATF+4 to stop howling.
14) Replaced driver window regulator

I've done other maintenance on it, so that's just the stuff that I replaced because of problems as opposed to PM or accidental damage... and it only has 68,000 miles.

If I was paying a shop to do all this, it would have cost me a lot more than it has, but I still have to consider the alternative. I bought this used and at that time I looked at Toyotas with the same features. The used Toyotas were in the $25,000 range, and IMO were ugly and underpowered (things may have changed, but that was 3 years ago). I paid $15,800 for my 01 T&C Limited, so for a vehicle that has always gotten us from A to B in comfort and reliably (these have been minor inconveniences and never left us stuck anywhere) and cost $9,200 less than the alternative, I have to say it was a much better buy than the Toyota-- and Toyotas do break too. I mean, even if I had a shop do all these repairs, it would not have added up to anything close to $9,200.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:59 PM

I agree - I bought my 2001 Voyager for £4000 (about $6000) and a similar Toyota would have cost me twice that. I am fully expecting to pay another £1000 in the next year to sort things out (have already spent about £400 for sway arm stuff including a new tyre) and I think it's excellent value for the money and a lovely car for taking the family (including dog) on holiday.

Quick Reply: 99 T&C keyless entry