Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

automatic door issues 2004 T & C

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 01:20 AM

Motor itself works fine. It's obioulsy the clutch inside that motor that does not disengage. And since the motor is not exactly cheap it seems normal to me to ask if there is a possibility to replace only the broken part and not the whole assembly.

Spending hundreds of dollars for a clutch with a free motor attached is an over kill to me.

When the clutch on the transmission goes bad, do you replace the clutch or the transmission as a whole?

Old 05-29-2011, 07:21 AM

And since the motor is not exactly cheap it seems normal to me to ask if there is a possibility to replace only the broken part and not the whole assembly.
It also seems normal to ask yourself if it is really important enough to spend money on......

Did you look thru the yellow pages for a "DISCOUNT DOCTOR" when your Children were born????

Last edited by Djinn-n-Tonic; 05-29-2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Up4Si
Motor itself works fine. It's obioulsy the clutch inside that motor that does not disengage. And since the motor is not exactly cheap it seems normal to me to ask if there is a possibility to replace only the broken part and not the whole assembly.

Spending hundreds of dollars for a clutch with a free motor attached is an over kill to me.

When the clutch on the transmission goes bad, do you replace the clutch or the transmission as a whole?
Yeah, go look for some of those motor parts for a sliding door. Thanks anyway?? Gees....

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic

Did you look thru the yellow pages for a "DISCOUNT DOCTOR" when your Children were born????
With cheap asses...anything's within the realm of possibility.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:06 AM

Well, dear technicians, who insults me with a cheap *** and discount doctors, Chryler is a discount car as a whole. It's quality is far beyond being a top quality vehicle. But chrysler's tehnicians on the other hand do act like they are repairing some kind of a gold edition vehicle. Get real. Chryler is cheap and hence their build in tehnology and materials are chep. And everyone on this planet does not have unlimited amount of money to throw it at the overpriced tehnicians or parts, that do not work not even for a few years as expected. So do not bother telling me I'm a discount seeker or a cheep ***. Becuse I know I am. But you dont.

And by the way: Child is not a car! People doctors do have leverage to keep prices high and to keep us comming back. But you again, don't.

Last edited by Up4Si; 05-30-2011 at 03:11 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:47 AM

Chryler is a discount car as a whole. It's quality is far beyond being a top quality vehicle.
You are probably right...But take a guess WHAT MFR designed the door motor in your CAR????? (This may actually come as a surprise to alot of people)..

The discount doctor comment was not an insult, it was a point.

You want or need something that someone else has....You either pay their price for it, You kill them and Take it from them, you search around until you find someone else who has it for less money, Or ...You leave it Broken.....Those are all YOUR Choices To make.

A 2004 you say...... Why would it go to a dealership.....If you have enough intelligence to ask about a CLUTCH replacement in a door motor, You wuld absolutely be a FOOL to pay someone to replace it.

parts, that do not work not even for a few years as expected.
A 2004 you say???? Hmmmm....Well, at least you didnt call and complain to Chrysler and ask them to warranty it.
ITS A SEVEN YEAR OLD VEHICLE..... Im Sure Your "Joints and Bushings"
Dont all work Flawlesslty like they did 7 years ago.

Finally.....Even if I could Get a hold of a "Motor Clutch"....Do you really think I would remove the motor, drill out the rivets , separate the case halves and replace the clutch for the 6 dollars Im going to get paid???? When Changing oil pays me the same??? Your car would sit in the back of the lot until moss grew on it, because NOBODY would take the ticket.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:02 AM

well......I guess I will start with checking for broken wires. come on guys, there isn't any reason to be fighting over a Chrysler or any other brand of car.

I also wonder if it might be a battery issue. The dealer put a new battery on my van when I bought it. It looks very small and its only 450 amps. My wife only drives it 2 blocks to work each day so I just wonder if the battery isn't strong enough for the electric doors and the small amount of driving doesn't keep a good charge on the battery. If I take the van on my 1 hour commute, the doors work just fine when I get there. Any of you "techs" think a 450 amp battery is too small for my 2004 town and country?

Old 05-30-2011, 10:13 AM

You are probably right...But take a guess WHAT MFR designed the door motor in your CAR????? (This may actually come as a surprise to alot of people)..
Just out of curiosity, surprise me, I'd really like to know.

The discount doctor comment was not an insult, it was a point.
Didn't take it as an insult. Money doesn't matter to me when it coms down to the wealth being of my kids.

ITS A SEVEN YEAR OLD VEHICLE..... Im Sure Your "Joints and Bushings"
Dont all work Flawlesslty like they did 7 years ago.
Actually they do. The inner and outer tie rod ends were replaced together with a steering wheel column that was leaking servo oil and stabilizer bar and links bushings. That together cost me over 1.300 EUR wich is over 1.800 USD. And last week the rear wiper motor stopped working, electrical mirrors does not work, air condition is blowing worm air, shocks bearings are worn making noise when changing steering direction, the motor clutch is bad, etc.. And if You start to calcuate it all together then maybe you will understand why I just do not want to spend ANY more money on the vehicle than neccessary. That includes changing the motor clutch by my self if I could get a hand on one!

My point: It is not that I want you to work for a change, I want the cheap car to be cheap overall. And by cheap I mean I do not want to have it at a dealer every other month but rather once a year or even less. That would make me feel comfortable with my vehicle, I would grow trust in dealerships and money spent for repairs wouldn't hurt at all. But having every other month something to replace/repaire is just too much! That door motor is just the tip of the iceberg.

Finally.....Even if I could Get a hold of a "Motor Clutch"....Do you really think I would remove the motor, drill out the rivets , separate the case halves and replace the clutch for the 6 dollars Im going to get paid???? When Changing oil pays me the same??? Your car would sit in the back of the lot until moss grew on it, because NOBODY would take the ticket.
6 dollars? It's at least an hour of work if not more. What are the rates in your country? 6 bucks/hour?! Even if it is, not everybody lives in america. Our dealership has a rates of around 60 EUR (85 USD) an hour. So replacing a clutch would cost me at least that amount plus the clutch itself. That is If I would not want to repair it myself. And nobody would take that ticket? I know I would.

However I'm not here to pick up a fight with you I just wanted to know if there is a possibility to change only the clutch and not the whole motor assembly without calling me a cheap ***.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

there is not a procedure for replacing the clutch so u would be on your own in doing so also finding a new part as well would be an issue U would be better off finding on in a junk yard and do it yourself.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:04 PM

6 dollars? It's at least an hour of work if not more. What are the rates in your country? 6 bucks/hour?! Even if it is, not everybody lives in america. Our dealership has a rates of around 60 EUR (85 USD) an hour. So replacing a clutch would cost me at least that amount plus the clutch itself. That is If I would not want to repair it myself. And nobody would take that ticket? I know I would.
Motor replacement Lists for 3/10ths of an hour..... And yes , labor rates are 85$+ here too........But I WORK HERE....That 85 dollars an hour is SHOP LABOR....NOT MY Salary....
At 20$ an Hour, , 3/10ths to me is Six dollars and 33 cents.. An oil change pays me Half an Hour....Which would you rather do???

As far as Money not mattering on your children...That was My Point......Nobody would do that...It is an Absolutely Insane Idea...Which is why I used That Example..

Old 05-30-2011, 01:05 PM

Although I'm not a mechanic, replacing the clutch would be a real pain. It's a part which isn't easy to find. The only way I would see that you could save money is by buying and installing the motors yourself. You would probably need a 04717974AD(Right Sliding Door Motor) or a 04717975AD(Left Sliding Door Motor). I can hit you up with instruction if you're interested. Also if you need help with the liftgate motor let me know.

Having that said, I wouldn't recommend doing this. Personally even knowing how to theoretically do this stuff, I would rather have a mechanic do it. They are responsible and in the end it will work for sure. Right now if you would do it yourself, it could cost you a lot more.

I've got an imported Chrysler Town & Country at a European dealership. It costs a lot of money to get the car fixed. The repairs however don't cost that much if you compare it to the amount of money you spend on gas. Please don't try to cut corners with such a beautiful car.

Quick Reply: automatic door issues 2004 T & C