Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

BLOWER MOTOR DOESN'T WORK

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:55 PM
Default BLOWER MOTOR DOESN'T WORK

Hi all, I have a 1997 Town & Country AWD LXi. Recently took the van for a wash because it has been parked for so long collecting dirt. (Long story as to why). Anyhow after the wash, I notice a huge water leak under the passenger side dash. As I drive, I can hear the water inside of something inside under the dash like a bucket of water moving around. The blower had stopped working since this happened. I checked the fuses and found a 40 amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood that was blown that controls the blower. Replaced it and still don't work, all that happens is when I turn on the fan, all gets dimmed out ...head lights, dash lights, etc.. but no blower so I immediately turn it off before it pops the fuse again.

Does this mean that the water damaged the blower motor? Or do I have to wait until the water dries out? Can I drain the water out from the motor? Also, why did the water leaked inside from the wash? Never happened before.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:56 AM
Default RE: BLOWER MOTOR DOESN'T WORK

air intake for the blower is just below windshield, plastic grill.
as your car has been parked for some time, I suspect that all sorts of dirt and leaves have blocked intake of air and also a water drain from the heater/blower compartment.
that same dirt is blocking the movement of the blower propeller and that's why your lights dim when you turn on the blower.

as for the cleaning (that's all you need), I've never done it my self, but I would start from taking off that plastic grill and see what I can do from there. if that would not be enough, you have to get to it (blower) from the passangers side, low under the dash.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:25 AM

I wonder...thanks for the help. I will wait for a good day, hopefully this weekend if the weather is good for me to work with it. I will keep you informed. Thanks again.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:00 AM

before weekend, check here.
maybe you will get instructions with pictures how to dis-assemble lower dash to get to blower. i don't have that but some of the guys do.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:52 AM

Thanks I wonder. I'm off to the project today. Will keep you posted....

Old 03-05-2008, 01:29 AM

The drain hole for heater air conditioner plastic pan is plugged.
A little rubber hose on the engine side of firewall passenger side, hook a shop vac to it, suck it out.
Rubber hose may need to be extended, air pressure while driving pushes water back into pan because hose is too short, use some pvc pipe to extend it about 2 inches.
common problem.
blower motor may be shorted or just binding from non use.
not too hard to change, one screw is hard to remove with carpeting in the way.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:15 PM

Hey guys, I got the blower to work. I took the blower out from under the dash and it was dirty with all the dirt that leaked in with the water. The water drain from under the windshield was clogged and leaked the water inside along with the dirt. So I unclogged the drain and cleaned up the blower. Everything works now. Whew! I needed the defrost to clear up the windshield when it rained and stuff and without the blower working, well....you know. Thanks for all the help I wonder. It was exactly what you said it was.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:05 AM

ORIGINAL: DJ SHORTY

Hey guys, I got the blower to work. I took the blower out from under the dash and it was dirty with all the dirt that leaked in with the water. The water drain from under the windshield was clogged and leaked the water inside along with the dirt. So I unclogged the drain and cleaned up the blower. Everything works now. Whew! I needed the defrost to clear up the windshield when it rained and stuff and without the blower working, well....you know. Thanks for all the help I wonder. It was exactly what you said it was.
as long as it works...

Old 03-07-2008, 08:19 AM
moe

you go I wonder!!!