Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Can i weld the alternator pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 02:06 PM

thanks for the info,
yep i think that i should buy a new pulley, i do not want to short life my belts etc, because of a 50 pounds piece.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:35 AM

OK... just a "heads up" removing the pulley is not a straightforward job :-(

The problem is that you cannot hold the outer part of the pulley whist trying to turn the inner part.

You either need a special tool, that has a 10mm hex inner part to hold the alternator shaft & a 17mm hex hey outer or another method.

I used a 17mm hey key on my impact gun to try and "shock" it loose, the pulley spins off in the normal anticlockwise way. This didn't work, so I ended up welding the pulley outer & inner then holding it in a vice & then used the impact gun on the alternator 10mm bolt head to turn it clockwise against the pulley.

Took a bit of swearing & sweat.

If you don't have the right tools for this, take it to a garage :-)

Old 03-22-2014, 10:25 AM

,the pulley is pressed to the shaft right or is screwed? if screwed is clock or anticlockwise? i only need to know this i can always make a tool with my lathe

Last edited by estrika; 03-22-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:05 AM

The pulley is screwed onto the shaft. Look at the middle of the pulley, you will see it has a 17mm hex socket. Using this socket, you need to unscrew it off anticlockwise. The problem is that you cannot hold the alternator inner shaft (rotor)

The only way to hold the alternator rotor is to insert a thin 10mm socket through the centre of the pulley and onto the end of the shaft, however when you do this you can't use the hex key to turn the pulley.

One way is to use an impact socket gun with a 17mm hex key, just try and spin it off anticlockwise against the inertia of the alternator rotor. I tried this and it just kept spinning the alternator up.

So to solve it, I welded the pulley inner and outer parts together, effectively making a solid pulley. I then clamped the pulley in a vice holding it tight, then used the impact gun on the 10mm hex head of the alternator shaft, and spun it clockwise.... ie instead of spinning the pulley off anticlockwise I spun the alternator shaft off itself clockwise.

When you get the alternator off the car, you'll see what I mean :-)

Mat

Old 03-29-2014, 08:53 AM

thanks mat
i managed to get it out, using yours instructions, welding the pulley is the way with a 10mm socket, i used my impact gun too, my problem was when using my vice i broke it forcing closing it, but i managed to hold the pulley between 2 pieces of wood clamped together, i used some wd40 kind of product 2 hours before to help the job, and after some impacts the alternator spinned out of the pulley.
i think this is the best method if we do not have the right tool (pulley removal tool for chrysler)
i bought a new pulley 37£ in ebay, that is already in the alternator, now i have a almost new alternator as a spare.
thanks to all for your help this forum is a must for chrysler cars.