Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Chrysler Voyager MK1 Speaker removal and sizes

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Post Chrysler Voyager MK1 Speaker removal and sizes

Hi,
We have just bought a 1999 chrysler voyager 2.0l petrol RHD. We are looking to replace the speakers.
Does any one know what size they are and how you access the dash mounted ones?
On the door cards there is a grill but im guessing no speaker behing it, am i right?

Any help, advice or pictures would be great.

Thanks in advance

Old 04-30-2011, 03:18 PM

sorry for double posting

Last edited by zbychobikerider; 04-30-2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: double posting by mistake. I would remove the whole post if i could.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:21 PM

Hei main273!
I don't know what RHD means but 2.0 petrol motor tells me it might be an European version, is that right?
I have recently replaced speakers in my 1997 Voyager SE 2.0L, European version. Chances are it might be the same car as yours. I can share my experience if it is of any help.
First of all, the factory mounted loudspeakers are just crap. Upgrading them makes really quite a difference.

Front dashboard: you need a decent pair of 5" round speakers. Do not go for most powerful models, though, cause the size of a magnet might become a problem. (I had this problem and solved it.)
First, carefully remove plastic covers of these pillars on a side of a windscreen. Start from the top. Then carefully lift the dashboard cover in one place and working gradually lift the rest. Start from the side edge, or else, where the control lights are. You do not need any tools, you can do it with bare fingers. A big, flat screwdriver might help, only at the start -- but make sure you don't leave any scratches. These covers and a dashboard itself are mounted with the use of some sort of clicking mechanism, i'm sorry but English is not my first language, even not second... Just pry them and then you will see. It is pretty obvious how to put them back on.
Remove the old, crappy speakers. On top of them there is a plastic disc with a mesh material, remove it and re-use on your new speakers. If the plastic disc does not fit for some reason, (as it was in my case on one side) you may use any black material, from old loudspeakers for example (my garage is full of this junk).
Oh, wait! Do not replace both speakers at once. Remove just one, mount and connect the new one and check it the phase is right. In my Voyager the old speakers of Oxford "brand" had some proprietary connectors, i just cut them off. If you get the phase right, a voice of a person reading news should be heard right in a center. If the phase is wrong, it would be coming from "all directions at once", kind of "from outer space". If not sure, just swap the cables and you will easily hear the difference. Now, when you successfully mounted one new speaker, replace the other one and check the phase again. Then put the dashboard back, then side pillar panels.
Enjoy!

Last edited by zbychobikerider; 05-01-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:34 PM

Now, what concerns the door panels: in my car there is a place ready for 6x9" speakers, but no cables. I have such a speakers from my previous Voyager, just don't have a time to route the cables nicely. I may do it in a few days, though, if i feel like.

But a place where you might make a real difference is a rear end! Really!
My wife for example does not like loud music in the front, she prefers when it comes from a back of a car, she says that it is not so much "right in a face" so less distracting. So i upgraded the rear end first, actually. Thta's why i am not in a hurry with the front door upgrade.

In the back of my Voyager i have a real 3-way sound system: a big 2 x 10" subwoofer, original 6x9" speakers left as a midrange and additional tweeters. The sub is powered by a dedicated amplifier.

Do you have some kind of round "vents", about 2" in diameter, in a middle of a rear side pillars? These are factory made "sockets" to put tweeters into.

If you are seriously interested, i can write about it, too.