Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Clock Spring 00 Town & Country 3.8L substitute?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 09:47 PM
Default Clock Spring 00 Town & Country 3.8L substitute?

The clock spring went and I am looking to replace it. My car is dying. It has the radio, cruise controls on the steering wheel and don't use any of that stuff. Can buy the basic clock spring (the one without the ability to control the radio etc on the wheel) and use that rather than spending all kinds of money on the other one. They look the same but the basic one is a lot less money. As I mentioned, I only need the air bag to work and the horn. Thanks!

Old 10-21-2019, 06:47 AM

To be able to give you a CORRECT answer...
It would take somebody with a full wiring schematic to be sure that the harness wire connections are still located in the same places for horn/airbag function of the modular plug to the clockspring. Also not sure if the modular plug would physically fit to the "base" style clock spring.
I use rockauto.com for my parts, and I've looked up the clockspring for my 04 T&C(loaded model), and don't feel their price is too expensive for the proper part.

Old 10-21-2019, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the information. I was hoping it may be like the radio I put it. The original had the wiring for the steering wheel and the replacement did not.. I just ignored those plugins and it worked. The car is dying... maybe a button and some wire....LOL Thanks again for you message. I will check out RockAuto

Old 10-21-2019, 11:55 AM

OK, I'm confused. Just why then are you wanting to replace the clockspring for? If you installed another radio that does NOT support "in the wheel controls, the clockspring would have nothing to do to change that. Is the airbag light on or horn not working?
A common problem for non functioning horn is the ground printed circuit in the fuse panel goes bad, Imade a thread a while back about the condition. If you were to look up my threads started in my profile, you'll find it and should be able to help you understand what goes on.The only difference between my 04 and your 00 may be color code of wiring(IF you have a "no horn" problem.

Old 10-21-2019, 12:29 PM

Hi, The clock spring totally failed and I have no horn and the air bag light is on now. All the tests I did point to the clock spring. What I was illustrating was able to replace the radio which had a CD player with a different 00 radio that did not have a CD payer or steering wheel controls. I simply ignored the connections in the wire harness that connect the radio to the harness and eventually clock spring and the steering wheel controls. The radio worked fine even thought those connections were ignored. I changed the radio 10 years ago and it still works fine today. There are three different clock springs for that year. The 4685684AD (horn and air bag), 4685684AE (horn, air bag and cruise control) and 4685684AF (horn, airbag, cruise control and radio controls). When I look at the pictures of the three different clock springs they are physically the same in dimension but of course had added connections. My thought is if I bought the model 4685684AD (horn and air bag only) and simply ignored the inputs for the curse control (broken) and the radio (not hooked up to the steering wheel for 10 years) would the air bag and horn work. This car is so old and on its last legs that I don't want to pay any more than I have to. Just need the horn and airbag. Thanks again.

Old 10-21-2019, 03:45 PM

Check with your dealer, there is a lifetime warranty on the 1998-2000 T&C clockspring (at least in the USA).

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2000/C...DR/FWD#recalls
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE CLOCKSPRING ASSEMBLY ON ALL COVERED VEHICLES WITH 70,000 MILES OR LESS. FOR THOSE VEHICLES WITH MORE THAN 70,000 MILES, DAIMLERCHRYSLER WILL OFFER AN EXTENDED LIFETIME WARRANTY UNDER WHICH IT WILL REPLACE THE CLOCKSPRING AT NO CHARGE IF IT FAILS. DAIMLERCHRYSLER WILL ALSO REIMBURSE OWNERS WHO HAVE PAID TO HAVE THE CLOCKSPRING REPLACED ON THEIR VEHICLES. THE RECALL BEGAN ON OCTOBER 12, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Old 10-21-2019, 04:48 PM

Thanks George, I contacted Chrysler but because where this car was made (which plant) it is not covered. I posted on the Dodge site too. Thanks for you help.