Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Crankshaft Oil seal

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Merlin
travel down to the southwest for a holiday I'll match that hourly rate.

I may take you up on that, especially if it's something major - I have far more confidence in your expertise and commitment to these cars.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:23 AM

I have recently done the crankshaft seals on my 2000 2.5TD. No great issue really, a fairly ok job to do. There are actually 4 seals in total, two behind the adapter plate, one on the flywheel and the main big one on the bearing carrier (the one you would typically call the Crank seal).

The reason these engines have an adapter plate is because they were designed to be multipurpose, (actually originally for boats). The adapter plate allows different manufacturers to fit a variety of gearboxes to them.

Anyhow, if you know how to remove a gearbox then the job should present no problem. I must say after my Toyota Previa which is a mid engined car, this Chrysler is an absolute dream to work on.

One big thing to be aware of though. There are two half moon thrust washers behind the flywheel. Make 200% sure that the fly wheel turns smoothly and freely BEFORE you tighten the nuts. If one of these has slipped and you tighten down on it you will distort it. Putting some grease on the back of them to hold them in place is a good idea.