Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

crd diesel injector puller

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 05:11 PM

I was really generalising when I spoke of belts and chains......chains tend to be the most common alternative to cam belts.

Thanks for clearing up the intricacies of the valve train on 1996 - 2000 voyagers. Having never owned or worked on one I wouldn't know.

Athough considered by many to be old school, I do wish VM stuck with the cam gear/hydraulic lifter setup in their later engines, as it is pretty bomb proof.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:40 AM

Yes I agree, whilst Merlin (the Chrysler Tech on this forum) has a dislike of the old engine, looking at the actual specs I see little rational for the change. The old engine was really old school fair enough as it is actually a Marine engine.....BUT it does the job very well.

Also it would appear that the prime motivation was to obviously modernise the newer generation and to reduce emmisions but when you look at the specs the new engine is 140BHP vs the older ones 114BHP. However take a look at the "claimed" consumption

new

urban = 27.7
extra urban = 43.5
combined = 36.2

old

urban = 25.2
extra urban = 39.2
combined = 32.8

so for an extra 26BHP I am not seeing much improvement on efficiency. Now I must say I never get less than 35 urban and regularly achieve 41 extra urban so driving style needs to be considered. The other thing is that when you go from 8v to 16v you end up carrying more weight as the head is larger, you now have 2 camshafts and the associated running gear so this zaps the gains from increased performance. Also 16v engines have a different torque profile from 8v's as they produce their optimal power at higher rpms whilst 8v engines have low down torque making them more efficient around town and great cruises. What's more with a CRD engine you have a higher pressure fuel pump and injectors that simply don't last as long and cost a fortune to replace as they cannot be repaired. For the old ones a complete recon will cost around £20 per injector AND you can generally quite easily use vegetable oil.

Both cars have crap gearboxes which are made by Getrag NOT Chrysler. Crap because Chrysler's own service recommendation intervals are wrong (read my other post regarding transmission oil) not because their is anything wrong with the actual box. The engines are not Chrysler's either. They are made by VM Motori, an Italian company. Both new and old engines use pretty much the same block, the newer one being slightly different as it no longer has the imbedded cam.

Last edited by glowplug; 04-24-2010 at 04:06 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:08 PM

It was a 1 lady owner car when we got it (at around 149k) so I'd be surprised if it had never been done and in hindsight, it might have been an idea to get it done but i've never bothered before.
To be honest, I probably wont bother again. In 18 years of buying older cars with higher mileages and no known service history, this is the first one thats ever went on me so I've probably saved a fortune even with this bill.
On a brighter note, I've found a 1999 2.5 going through a local car auction on Tuesday. I cant see many people wanting an 11 year old, 173k miles grand voyager so i'll have a punt on it.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:02 AM

173k dude are you nuts??? Listen I am selling my 2000 2.5TD Voyager for £2100 and that has only done 103k. Only selling as I have now bought a Grand Voyager. If I didn't have 4 kids and all the junk I would keep it.

You buy something with 173k on it and you will pay twice as much again to fix it.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:47 PM

Wife would prefer an old 4 by 4 7 seater in reserve (that also runs on veg oil) so thats the other Voyager hit on the head anyways.
The 4 kids are the reason I've a Grand Voyager as well. The only vehicle that combines good luggage capabilities with proper seats for all inside.
Just had an email to say the parts on it's way. Heres hoping Georgia to the UK's quite quick.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:13 AM

Picked up the tool today, back to the car, 4 injectors out in around 30 mins.
Miller Special Tools VM.9075A REMOVER, FUEL INJECTOR. Thats the official name for it.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:44 AM

Yet another update. The cars now in bits and discovered the water pump I bought is the wrong one (TD rather than CRD). I've spent 2 days running 200 miles to get the "right"one, but it's not the right one (even my reg number says it is).
I also need a timing belt kit to align everything.
Not ideal considering it's a holiday weekend, but i've 2 numbers to call tomorrow to hopefully get both parts.
I'm going to update another thread I started with regards to costs involved incase someone has the bright idea of fixing one of these once the belts gone.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:24 AM

Hi scotsman4th

Are you interested in selling you 9075 injectors puller tool??

Kim

Old 01-11-2012, 02:35 PM

Hi Kim,

Unfortunately as I've still got the voyager I'll be keeping it. It failed the MOT last year on an injector seal and I had to use it again.

Rab

Old 01-13-2012, 03:55 AM

NO worries thanks Rab.

I ended up buying the 9075 tool myself. It is hard to get the 4th injector out as it is too close to the windscreen panel etc. think you can use the tool to screw the puller screw into the internal thread of the injector, is this what you have faced also, any tips appreciated.

I have taken the top off the injector to try this but there is some other moving part inside the injector which I guess I have to take out to gain access to the internal thread.

I have a 2.5l engine, did you have to do this aswell on your 4th injector.

Thanks
Kim

Quick Reply: crd diesel injector puller