Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Dead engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 04:19 AM
Default Dead engine

Really hoping someone can help .............

We have a Grand Viyager, 2008, auto, 2.8 diesel.........it just stopped dead. The garage say it was the crank fuel sensor so have changed that and it still will not start.
They now have no idea what it may be bit have mentioned it may be the auto gearbox ??

Please can anyone help ?

Thank you

Old 07-01-2021, 12:11 PM

I dare say the first thing is to see if any codes are showing up. Do you know how to do the key dance? If not there is plenty of help for it on you tube. But basicly, put the key in the ignition. Turn it so that the ignition lights come on. Then turn it off and on three times, this should bring up any fault codes where the mileage is shown..

Old 07-03-2021, 07:34 AM

If you can turn it on the starter then it isn't the gearbox. The cpu checks that the g/box is in park or neutral to allow you to start .. other than that I don't think there are any other interlocks

Old 07-06-2021, 09:49 AM

Fuel rail pressure relief valve is one to check, it shouldn't be dribbling at all when start attempted. Rail pressure can also be reduced at injector spill pipes, get we bottles out, but as engines not running at mo check drains from injectors. Is crank angle sensor ok.

Old 07-06-2021, 11:15 AM

The biggest bugbear with the GV is (I think) it's reluctance to start. I assume you have a standard fuel filter housing (I don't) that has a hand primer on it and I assume the workshop primed the fuel by pumping the primer until it went hard (impossible to prime anymore). Try this yourself, it's free after all and requires little effort. If the primer doesn't get hard then the diaphragm inside has probably split (as mine did)
The reason I don't have the standard housing is they are prone to sucking air into the fuel lines, cracks,poor pipe unions and split diaphragms apparently.
As mentioned above the bleed off is a regular offender as well. Also suggest you do a key dance (lots of info how to on the forum) and see which error codes are generated, write them down and look them up or post them on the forum, someone will identify them for you.
Best of luck, hope you can resolve the problem.

Old 05-16-2022, 01:47 AM

Same problem need help.

Old 05-21-2022, 03:28 PM
Default Stops dead.

There's a few components that bring engine to a halt. Fuel filter is a big one and always mentioned. Crank angle sensor is another but it starts its nonsence when it heats up. How about the boost sensor atop engine incorporates boost temp on earlier engines, 5 wire arrangement this. Sticking turbo actuators will play with boost sensor.