Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Door Lock Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 03:14 AM
Default Door Lock Problem.

Hi,

Background : I have a parasitic drain on the battery of my 2008 Grand Voyager. Several garages ( official and independent ) have tried and failed to locate it. So, if the car hasn't been run for a few days, the battery is flat. The battery itself is in good order and is taking a charge just fine. Now, if the battery is really drained, you can't open the doors with the remote lock on the key fob. So, taking the small key from the fob, and opening the passenger side door, you can get inside, pop the hood and charge the battery.

Then yesterday, the above routine failed when turning the key in the lock ( I tried both keys ). The "button" on the door pops up as if the door has been unlocked, but pulling on the handle achieves nothing.

Are there any other means of getting into the car without breaking a window ?

Cheers, Mark.

Old 06-29-2020, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Atlantis
Hi,

Background : I have a parasitic drain on the battery of my 2008 Grand Voyager. Several garages ( official and independent ) have tried and failed to locate it. So, if the car hasn't been run for a few days, the battery is flat. The battery itself is in good order and is taking a charge just fine. Now, if the battery is really drained, you can't open the doors with the remote lock on the key fob. So, taking the small key from the fob, and opening the passenger side door, you can get inside, pop the hood and charge the battery.

Then yesterday, the above routine failed when turning the key in the lock ( I tried both keys ). The "button" on the door pops up as if the door has been unlocked, but pulling on the handle achieves nothing.

Are there any other means of getting into the car without breaking a window ?

Cheers, Mark.
See: Battery Drain? - Voyager 4th Generation (2001-2007) - Chrysler Forum UK

Old 06-29-2020, 05:26 AM

Thanks for replying QinteQ. I don't see anything that will help me get into the car though ?

Old 06-29-2020, 05:45 AM

Also, mine's a 5th Generation, 3.3 Petrol.

Old 06-29-2020, 05:52 AM

Thanks for replying QinteQ. I don't see anything that will help me get into the car though ?
IMO

IPM is usual issue.

​​​​​The logic throws lock open to stop people locking the keys inside. There are hundreds of maybe 'wire chaser' solutions.
​​​​Cause is usually higher than 0.25mA draw @ sleep. iPM/fusebox and it's minging mankey was my usual starting point as all command PCi pings go through it.

Any starter battery over 3 years old is usually suspect to old. Older GV's do NOT like AGM batteries but SLI is ok. Pull both terminals fully charge it and replace. REM NEG off 1st and on 1st, or get a new bigger battery with much more reserve life. Co¥id negates "lifestyle" car NOT started run for 30 minutes each time to fill it's bank with reserve power.

Best of luck!
​​

Old 06-29-2020, 08:15 AM

Thanks, but I understand all of this. The battery is a Bosch, 12 months old, can't remember the figures but it's considerably better that the OEM fit. That is definitely not the problem.

My problem is that I can't get into the car. So I can't charge the battery or anything because I can't release the bonnet ( hood ) catch.

Today's issue is only about getting into the car.

Thanks, Mark.

Old 06-29-2020, 11:09 AM

I expect that you've already tried to open the tailgate manually?

Old 06-30-2020, 04:37 AM

Thanks Alan, but how do you do that ?

Old 06-30-2020, 06:13 AM

Thanks Alan, but how do you do that ?
Bosch are just marketing like all manufacturers. Our 2.8/5 lump needs each day use and/or big cranking reserves. All batteries a prostituted with Merkel legislated lead.

Were trying to help. I've never known any car made since the 60's that is designed to deny entry with the correct "married" key turned in the lock, that includes your rear door, child in under tonneau over seat, "marry" key again to BUS.

I suspect skim/skreem/BUS issue with yours. Best of luck!

Old 06-30-2020, 06:25 AM

https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...locking-24835/

https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...-pulled-18376/

IPM/BUS/FOB/marriage/ All need known good battery change - access to bonnet.

Quick Reply: Door Lock Problem.