Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Engine Light on

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 03:09 PM
Default Engine Light on

Hi All,
Just bought a 2005 Grand Voyager 2.8 CRD Limited XS with 99k on the clock. Great car for first 400 miles. We took it in to our local garage (non Chrysler) who carried out the work. Picked it up and only got 25 yards before the Engine light came on and car would not shift out of second. Limp mode I believe! Anyway to cut a long story short the garage reset the codes, computer etc. and now it works fine, however, the engine light has stayed on. I have no handbook so not sure what it means on this car. I know on other cars it means call dealer as catastrophic failure is about to occur. We also have a PT Cruiser and after reading the "Malfunction Indicator Light" section in the handbook it states that if the light stays on it could be down to a number of reasons but only states poor fuel quallity and that the car needs servicing, which has just been done. Apparently if the light flashes on and off then this is a more serious issue but again it says get the car serviced asap. Has anyone had any similar issues and am I right to assume the warning light in PT works in a similar manor to that of the Voyager?
Thanks
Mark

Old 01-22-2014, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Houghton
Hi All,
Just bought a 2005 Grand Voyager 2.8 CRD Limited XS with 99k on the clock. Great car for first 400 miles. We took it in to our local garage (non Chrysler) who carried out the work. Picked it up and only got 25 yards before the Engine light came on and car would not shift out of second. Limp mode I believe! Anyway to cut a long story short the garage reset the codes, computer etc. and now it works fine, however, the engine light has stayed on. I have no handbook so not sure what it means on this car. I know on other cars it means call dealer as catastrophic failure is about to occur. We also have a PT Cruiser and after reading the "Malfunction Indicator Light" section in the handbook it states that if the light stays on it could be down to a number of reasons but only states poor fuel quallity and that the car needs servicing, which has just been done. Apparently if the light flashes on and off then this is a more serious issue but again it says get the car serviced asap. Has anyone had any similar issues and am I right to assume the warning light in PT works in a similar manor to that of the Voyager?
Thanks
Mark
Sorry I meant to say it needed 100k service hence why we took it the garage.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:53 PM

If the light were flashing it would be a big deal, so that should help.
Try "The Key Dance" to check for the code causing the light to be on.
Sit in the car, doors closed. Quickly Cycle the key without starting the engine.
ON/ OFF/ON /OFF / ON and leave it in the ON position. Look at the odometer It should go from miles to -------- the the code P0000. If there is only one code it will then read "done" (if more than one code it should step from one to the next.
(An Example is P0441, that is an evap emission code, commonly a loose or failed gas cap. )
Post up the code, I'm sure you will get some help.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by FIREM
If the light were flashing it would be a big deal, so that should help.
Try "The Key Dance" to check for the code causing the light to be on.
Sit in the car, doors closed. Quickly Cycle the key without starting the engine.
ON/ OFF/ON /OFF / ON and leave it in the ON position. Look at the odometer It should go from miles to -------- the the code P0000. If there is only one code it will then read "done" (if more than one code it should step from one to the next.
(An Example is P0441, that is an evap emission code, commonly a loose or failed gas cap. )
Post up the code, I'm sure you will get some help.

Thanks for your reply. The error code is P1685.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:28 AM

Now back to square one. Car won't change gear and engine light still on. Error code still shows P1685 and no other codes.
Has anyone had the gear change problem (Limp mode) and got it successfully repaired?
Its obviously something simple as it worked perfectly yesterday.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:07 PM

P1685 is an invalid SKIM key. Not related to your limp mode issue but indicates you may have a bad key fob, maybe just a fob battery or you may have to reprogram it. Check your owners manual for that process.

The "engine light" means the powertrain control module, better known as the PCM, has detected a related fault. The first step is to read the codes as you have done, to determine what circuit is generating the fault. There are nearly a hundred faults that can turn on that light.

"Limp mode" can have many causes. Not having a code can make it tough to troubleshoot. The common first steps are inspecting and cleaning the input and output sensor connections and the solenoid pack connection all on the front of the transmission. If all is well there many just replace both the input and output sensors. mainly because they relatively cheap at around $20 each and have been known create your problem. All that said I am assuming you have the 41TE 4 speed electronic transmission. This depicts locations: http://s3.amazonaws.com/2cp-images/q...7928/large.jpg

Taking it to a shop would be your best bet if you're not inclined to work on vehicles. A shop will connect a scanner, check for specific transmission codes you can't access with a normal scanner, check CVI numbers to determine clutch health and run a series of tests by applying pressures in response to scanner commands.

Any other symptoms like an erratic speedo or tach, delayed shifting (in 1st, 2nd, reverse), erratic accessory systems?

Last edited by Raptor 07; 01-23-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:12 PM

Sorry to hear you have no workshop manual, they are almost impossible to find particularly the diesel, if you find a copy let me know.

On the 'limp mode' issue its an absolute pig even with a capable code reader, a main stealer read in the UK is about $150 a pop Raptor 07 mate, and only main stealer's [exception tfb] have the appropriate readers. Mark Houghton am I to understand you had no 'limp mode' issue till to took your motor for the service, in other words the garage caused the problem? Also the 'limp mode' disappears if you IGN off the IGN on again - is that correct ?

I would start by pulling the NEG terminal for 16 minutes to clear the BUS, don't do a couple of minutes only .. .. do it for the 1/4 or 1/2 hour, a CAP holds a good amount of reserve to keep the BUS polling and its the BUS that connects the gearbox brain under the OSF arch and the PCM you want to re-set. When you reconnect the NEG you will hear clunks and clangs and all manner of checks being performed, wait till they are finished then start the car and re-set your overhead stuff and clock time etc.

I'll give 100 to 1 that the garage you used are unable to deal with Chrysler codes other than emissions.

Best of luck, you may get lucky and its just a BUS problem !

Old 01-24-2014, 01:54 PM

Hi, QinteQ has given the hint here, Garage where you got it serviced is to blame. What did they do to it under the service schedule, underneath as well of course. A ramp will be required so take it back to them and ask them to check the electrical connections/plugs to engine and gearbox.
I'm adding this because this fault rings a bell in my Tinnitus ears. Thing it related to someone getting a gearbox repaired and the plug was damaged when the garage did the work and it caused loads of problems.
Give it a go, you never know.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:32 PM

Thanks guys for all the replies. I doubt if the garage I used has all equipment required to reset the codes. The car is an 05 model so not sure what auto box it has. All the cars equipment works fine whilst in limp mode. one thing I did notice after a few days of ownership all the needles on the dials went up to max and back again when I turned ignition on. Maybe a test! The garage I used changed the fuel filter. Im wondering if they disturbed something as I believe this is next to the diesel heater? I shall try and carry out the checks you all mentioned. Failing that I'll take it a main dealer and pay the £90 they want for an hours diagnosis. Thanks again Mark

Old 01-24-2014, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Houghton
Thanks guys for all the replies. I doubt if the garage I used has all equipment required to reset the codes. The car is an 05 model so not sure what auto box it has. All the cars equipment works fine whilst in limp mode. one thing I did notice after a few days of ownership all the needles on the dials went up to max and back again when I turned ignition on. Maybe a test! The garage I used changed the fuel filter. Im wondering if they disturbed something as I believe this is next to the diesel heater? I shall try and carry out the checks you all mentioned. Failing that I'll take it a main dealer and pay the £90 they want for an hours diagnosis. Thanks again Mark
A slack [badly fitted] fuel filter [leakback] and for that matter a cracked diesel heater plastic component will cause it not to start, but will not cause 'limp mode'. Your car has a 41TE gearbox. The sweeping needle is an indication of a flat battery.

- did you pull the NEG terminal for 16 minutes to clear the BUS ?
- is your battery now fully charged ?
- the writing in RED mean you are supposed to click on them

Quick Reply: Engine Light on