Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Fuel pipe size 2.8crd

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 01:34 PM
Default Fuel pipe size 2.8crd

I am struggling to find any technical data on the fuel system regarding the size of the fuel lines. Basically I am going to connect an electric lift pump and new rubber hose up to the IP in hope of rectifying air in the fuel. At the same time I am going to remove the sender unit and check the small siphon filter, of which I have come across a few models that suffer from these blocking causing rough running or cutting out. I would rather get the parts I need before I start stripping down to obviously save time, measuring then reassembling to then fetch the parts to then strip down again. What size pipe fits the outlet of the fuel sender? What size banjos are needed for the inlet&outlet of filter housing and inlet to IP? Hopefully for ease the pipe will be the same size throughout. I am going to fit a clear piece of pipe in between filter and pump after this mod to double check.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:40 PM

Forgot to add I have checked all of the obvious things; fuel filter, drain plug, electrical connector to heater and checked all accessible connections from tank to IP. Also hooked up diagnostics and checked pressures and fuel flow. Everything was in spec and could not get the car to cut out whilst hooked up. Has only ever cut out once when almost full throttle joining a carriageway and once quite hard accelerating up a steep hill. A few pumps of the fuel primer and started again.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:59 PM

There is an issue of the fuel filter rubber diaphragm letting in air if its cracked with age.
Your also getting into loss of pressure via one of the injectors bypassing too much.
Any codes.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:59 PM

Still getting p1130 code when it cuts out. I will recheck the injector leak off but all were within spec 2 weeks ago. I just haven't had a chance to cut the fuel line between the filter and IP to splice in a clear hose section as I have no idea what size pipe it is. Once I find out the size I will be able to permanently plumb in a low pressure gauge so I can monitor it all the time.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:57 AM
tfb

it's 8mm fuel line and I can't remember if it's m14 or m12 banjos you need, but banjo's are not expensive so i'd buy both. I used a facet posi-flo 60106 for a while as a lift pump.

Regards
Richard

Old 04-07-2015, 04:30 AM

That is extremely lucky as I already have some 8mm pipe and connectors. Is it 8mm from tank to IP or just 8mm from filter to IP. I will check out that facet pump. I'm going to try and regulate the fuel to get a constant pressure and see if that helps. I have seen numbers around 7 or 8 psi needed but I may go slightly higher to between 10&15 psi.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:49 AM
tfb

8mm all the way, fuel line pressure can effect the M-prop valve on the IP, I'd stick to the 6-10psi range

Richard

Old 04-07-2015, 04:47 PM

Did you notice any difference using that particular pump? Was the engine starting and running any smoother? Did you find hard acceleration was more responsive without losing too much pressure?
What did you wire it up to? I think I will take your advice and stay slightly lower as i do not want to be spend anothe couple of hundred £££'s on an m-prop.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:48 AM
tfb

it helped on starting as the problem I was having was drain back when the car had been standing over night. I used the pump as I had one on hand and to give a quick fix.

Despite there not normally being a lift pump on a 2.8, the wiring is in the fuse box, this energises the pump when the key is turned on and then it runs for 30 seconds after starting. You could just pick any ignition switched feed if you wanted the pump to run continuously.

Richard

Old 04-08-2015, 01:31 PM

P1130 continually comes up the most on here regarding cutting out. Answers on here, think I better write it down this time. Injectors, Rail sensor or Rail bypass valve ?

Quick Reply: Fuel pipe size 2.8crd