Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Removing (fixed)Glass on Sliding Door

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 03:41 AM
Default Removing (fixed)Glass on Sliding Door

2000 Chrysler Grand Voyager driver's side sliding door window
Removing fixed glass on the sliding door
There are some videos on the subject
I plan to go to a You-Pull-It junkyard for the replacement glass, and I've already removed the old glass and weatherstripping. But this part of the job is more sensitive that the first. I have to be more careful when removing the glass I plan to install.
I'm looking for advice on how to remove the replacement window. The guy in the video uses a screwdriver, but the comments say to also use a heat gun or butane torch and heat the point where you are using the screwdriver. I'm worried the torch would break the glass. (The last time I tried to buy glass from one of those you-pull-it junkyards, I had to pay first, and I ended up buying a broken piece.) Is it just a matter of being careful?
Also, I plan to re-use the old weatherstripping since a new fitted piece is expensive. The old weatherstripping I salvaged is full of old window adhesive. What should I use to clean it? I imagine mineral spirits or paint thinner would work. Or is there some generic weatherstripping I can cut to fit? Does anybody have a recommendation?

Last edited by Nehmo Sergheyev; 09-10-2020 at 03:49 AM.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:18 PM
Old 09-11-2020, 10:33 PM

I wonder about the Equalizer Express Stingray Auto Glass Knife $350. Is it really that much better than a regular oscillating blade tool https://www.familyhandyman.com/list/...-tool-reviews/ ? The reviews advocate for it, and even agree with the price. I'd have to be in the business of removing glass to pay that much. But, then again, I'm on the poor side of the specturm. If I were richer, I'd think differently.
I ended up getting a replacement glass at ALL-N-1 U Pull for $32. The glass I bought came out much easier than the broken one in my car. I haven't installed it yet, but I don't anticipate any problems. Apparently, the bolt spacing on the weather stripping isn't always the same (according to what I've read), so it may be a little work. I removed the glass by using the torch from the inside on a point at the bottom until I was able to insert a screwdriver. Then, I just worked the screwdriver around, (This is my second attempt at posting. I don't know why the first one didn't stick.)

Old 09-15-2020, 06:41 PM

This is how I'm removing the weatherstripping from the junkyard window. It's slow going, and with every hammer strick, I'm worried the glass will crack. But I don't see another way.
I have 2 more steps to this job: removing all the old cracked glass from the old weatherstripping, and gluing the "new" glass to the old weatherstripping, plus gluing the glass&weatherstripping to the hole in the sliding door. I don't know what to use as the solvent to clean the old weatherstripping, and I don't know what to use as the adhesive. I have mineral spirits and paint thinner to try as solvents. And I have Permatex Silicone RTV as the adhesive.
It seems 3M glass adhesive, Window Weld ($35 locally) would be best, but I'm basing that just on the name. I have no experience with this kind of job. Recommendations?

Old 09-15-2020, 11:35 PM

I finished removing the weatherstripping from the junkyard glass. I decided to spend the money and buy the 3M Window Weld. The reviews were positive (although you have to know that reviews are often fake), and the 3M name is strong. I've invested so much time already on this project, skimping on materials now wouldn't be consistent.
I'm going to use the weatherstripping that came with the junkyard glass. It's cleaner than the weatherstripping from my car but the bolt pattern is different. I'll just make new holes to match the holes in the vehicle metal.

Old 09-29-2020, 07:33 PM

O'Reilly had 3M Window Weld $30, and I bought it. It comes in a tube, like caulking, and it looks like it will work. However, it doesn't look much different than Plastic Roof Cement (sometimes called Mastic). That's much cheaper. I wonder if that would do just as good a job. Anyway, I used the old weather stripping from the junkyard glass. The bolt pattern and shape differed somewhat from my Chrysler, but by stretching and then bolting, I was able to make it fit. I had to drill some new holes in the sheet metal to accommodate some of the bolts in the weatherstripping.
In order to press the glass inward while the Window Weld was curing, I used a block of wood and a ratcheting tie-down. I put the tie-down between the roof rack and the door handle. I placed the block of wood between the glass and the tie-down. I also used tape to hold the glass in place.

Last edited by Nehmo Sergheyev; 09-30-2020 at 05:24 PM.