Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Severe Steering wheel shake

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 03:27 PM
Default Severe Steering wheel shake

ok guys.. been a while... replaced all tires as some were cracked bad from this old van sitting in drive most of time... not driven much but it's a keeper..tires did not correct the sometimes extreme steerin wheel shake like a wheel is falling off... i mean... EXTREME... then it goes away for weeks sometimes and comes back... no strange noises... kinda of a clunk and vibration sometimes at start up but ..... wheel shake most often starts around 35 or 40.. park it a while and let it rest and it might not do it again until...... who knows ?? stumped bad.. about 195k on it now.. thanks all

Old 09-13-2020, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by woodthumb
ok guys.. been a while... replaced all tires as some were cracked bad from this old van sitting in drive most of time... not driven much but it's a keeper..tires did not correct the sometimes extreme steerin wheel shake like a wheel is falling off... i mean... EXTREME... then it goes away for weeks sometimes and comes back... no strange noises... kinda of a clunk and vibration sometimes at start up but ..... wheel shake most often starts around 35 or 40.. park it a while and let it rest and it might not do it again until...... who knows ?? stumped bad.. about 195k on it now.. thanks all
So you had the tires replaced(I'm sure you didn't do it yourself), From your description, sounds like a sticking brake caliper or a dying CV joint. So what have you inspected or are you not a DIY person to be able to do such investigating?

Old 09-13-2020, 05:57 PM

please note the word EXTREME.... i have never experienced a bad tire or wheel doing anything like this... hard to hold the wheel when it starts... and... like also mentioned... does not always happen... all front end parts look fine but i am gonna jack up and look closer...... not sure what could come and go like that...

Old 09-14-2020, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by woodthumb
please note the word EXTREME.... i have never experienced a bad tire or wheel doing anything like this... hard to hold the wheel when it starts... and... like also mentioned... does not always happen... all front end parts look fine but i am gonna jack up and look closer...... not sure what could come and go like that...
Good luck to you finding and repairing the cause of this extreme shake(something nobody on a forum can pinpoint out for you sight unseen) I've driven these vans for 25 years and have seen just about all there is to have happen, WHAT makes you think that I did not take note of wording you posted???? With responses back to offered suggestions, I would count yourself lucky to have any other responses back on this concern!! They sure won't come from me.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:54 AM

Solved !! called old backyard mechanic friend of mine and he said always go to tie rods after tires for severe shaking of wheel.... genius.. only the inner....experience comes in all flavors