Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Strange trouble codes but no issues.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 08:03 AM
Default Strange trouble codes but no issues.

2014 Chrysler T&C Touring L.
I have a U0231 for WCM lost communication with RSM yet the wipers function normally and the rain sensing works.
I have 4 codes for the sunroof module for lost communication with TIPM, low voltage, etc yet the sunroof functions normally.
I also have a B157B code for the radio after doing a hard reset on the TIPM during an alternator replacement. The radio works fine.
I believe the issue with the radio is that the firmware was recently updated and the reset screwed that up.
No warning lights and the only way I know anything is wrong is plugging in a scan tool.

Old 05-08-2022, 11:12 AM

Are the codes active or stored? A stored code was once active and will remain for 30 or so engine restarts. You noted the alternator was replaced; was it recently? The failing alternator may have caused the codes you are seeing if they are stored codes. Chrysler's do not tolerate low voltages and will set seemingly unrelated codes.

How old is the battery and what condition is it in? A failing alternator could have stressed the battery enough to cause it to be weak or failing.

Old 05-08-2022, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by ggoose
Are the codes active or stored? A stored code was once active and will remain for 30 or so engine restarts. You noted the alternator was replaced; was it recently? The failing alternator may have caused the codes you are seeing if they are stored codes. Chrysler's do not tolerate low voltages and will set seemingly unrelated codes.

How old is the battery and what condition is it in? A failing alternator could have stressed the battery enough to cause it to be weak or failing.
The alternator had a weak bearing and was noisy, it was charging fine.
The battery is about a year old, it was installed before I bought the van.
I clear the codes but they return yet nothing is causing any issues.
I would think that if the sunroof module lost communication with the TIPM that it would kill power but all functions work.
The RSM losing communication with the wireless control module is odd since it works as it should.
These 5th gen T&C vans are not normally equipped with a sunroof, I am wondering if at some point someone replaced the TIPM with one not set up for a sunroof.
The codes do not show any visible signs, no check engine light or messages on the dash, I initially discovered them when I bought a fancier scan tool.