Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

T&C rear climate control 5th gen FIX

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 01:53 PM
Default T&C rear climate control 5th gen FIX

I have a 2013 town and country, having issues with rear climate control,rear heat and A/C controls.
read all the threads and replaced the actuators on both the blend door and temp door. No change, still messed up.
HEAT would only blow on the floor, would not change to top rear vent. AC would only blow from top vent, BUT when on AC when I changed to floor, the temp contoller would shift by itself to heat. JACKED UP.
Tested the mopar doors, they were still fine, one was making some noise. New actuators are dorman.
Read some more threads, found mention of a software update on gen 5's in a service bulletin, went to dealer and they agreed to software updates and diagnostic for 1/2 hour labor. That turned into an hour $150. Software update was only on front passenger blend door.
Dealers suggested changing the front control unit in dash, reprogamming. Then change back to new mopar actuators and reprogram. Sounded like they were just going to throw parts at it until something happened - on my dime. Was going to be $600 to start. No thanks
The various reset procedures on line did not work.

FIX:
I ran a few tests. Both actuators powered and moved when the front controls were changed. Seemed like the controller had just lost its place with the world.
SO. Youre not supposed to need to index these actuators, they should sense open limit and closed limit thru door travel.
I indexed the controllers to the doors and everything works as it should.

if youre reading this, you should be familiar with the disassembly procedure, if not, go find it, plenty of threads on how to remove rear panels and access the rear climate unit.

After you remove the vent tubes you can see a blend door, thats for vent, temp blend door is lower on the rear of the unit, cant see whats happening.

Find the door positions
1 remove the actuators
2 rotate the top vent door, youll see what is floor and what is roof
3 the temp blend door has the same travel. Keep in mind the ac comes in from the bottom and the heat comes in from the front side
4 find home position of each door, where it falls with no actuator.
5 set your dash controls to match the home position of each door.
6 i used a 9V battery and 2 wires to power the actuator to set the shaft to match the splined area of the blend door. There is a flat area on the splines where a notch is missing.
you have to match it up.
7. Install actuators with matched shaft to home position of the door.
8 start it up and test it.

PERFECTION. The rear climate control now follows every action of the front control unit.