Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

US handbrake

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by sundowners
I admit that I have thought of or seen this system before---but I will adjust the new ones like this when fitted------BUT-----isn't the 'balance mechanism' supposed to equalize the brakes ????? allowing for any slight difference in adjustment
Nigel & Pamala
Are we still talking about the hand brakes ? The adjuster you're talking about is adjusting or moving the shoes closer/away from the drum. The hand brake has a pivoting doofer which presses the shoes against the drum. It stays there until you release the hand brake lever. What do you use to lubricate the moving parts ? DO not lube or scuff the braking surfaces

Old 08-31-2013, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by antalo
Are we still talking about the hand brakes ? The adjuster you're talking about is adjusting or moving the shoes closer/away from the drum. The hand brake has a pivoting doofer which presses the shoes against the drum. It stays there until you release the hand brake lever. What do you use to lubricate the moving parts ? DO not lube or scuff the braking surfaces
No scuffing the NEW shoes and disc/drums--------the worry I had was the return spring also stops the adjuster (now really free) adjusting itself------the discs/drums are WELL past their best
Nigel & Pamala

Old 03-13-2014, 05:15 PM

update on my rear brakes------------
new discs/drums fitted along with pads/shoes and new return springs---------parking brake still not as good as I would like, but after bedding in, I will re-adjust them------I bent the adjusting tool I made---so I will have to make a new stronger one
still some jobs yet to do---some before the next MOT ---but at least it's running OK
Nigel

Old 03-15-2014, 01:15 PM

Interesting that your parking brake over there is a hand brake. Over here (US) they're all foot pedal actuated in the minivans because they don't offer a manual shift option, all automatics. With a stick shift, the hand brake is useful for getting started on a hill. The foot actuated brake wouldn't help in that regard. Also, you'd run out of feet before you could step on a foot actuated parking brake if you had to keep a foot on the clutch pedal.
I assume there's an engineering unit for Chrysler over there to work on the details of incorporating diesel engines, standard transmissions, right hand drive, etc. into vehicles that weren't originally designed for them.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:25 PM

I've a funny feeling that "engineering unit" will be german...

Leedsman.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:35 PM

Maybe Italian now.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:25 PM

My 2004 crd voyager was recalled in 2005 for a new hand brake and has never been any good since. When it gets too bad, I clean and lube all the linkages and find that helps (well it gets it through the MOT).

My wife now runs the voyager and I have a new Antara. it has an electric parking brake. Brilliant . It even holds my car and caravan on steep hills. hillstart assist is even better. Way to go !