Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Used 2011 T&C - would you buy one ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 08:56 PM
Default Used 2011 T&C - would you buy one ?

Hi,

I was looking at at 2011 Chrysler Town and Country Limited at a dealer today. 118,000 on it. Was loaded with features and was very clean (Carfax is clean too). But I have heard some horror stories about bad TICM modules making things go crazy, major transmission and/or engine problems, etc. So I want to ask anyone who owns or used to own this model for advice. Is it worth the risk to buy this car, based on your experiences? Would you buy it ?

Thanks for any help,

Mike

Old 10-25-2019, 09:47 AM

We have a 2010 Chrysler Grand Voyager, it is an Australian model. We absolutely love the car and, touch wood, have had no issues with the car, except we have just lost a back light behind one of our temp control switches.

We purchased the car second had with only 25,000kms on the clock (around 15,500 miles) and has just clocked over 135,000kms (around 84,000 miles) with no mechanical issues. We absolutely love the car, has enough power for a big car, has ample space (especially with the stow’n’go seats), has a decent sized boot space, is a fairly comfortable car to be in and also good quality ride when travelling.

The only gripe I really have is the stereo interface is old but to be expected from a 9 year old car and the suspension is a little too soft and big movement from the kids in the car easily shakes the body when stationary which bothers me at times. Besides that we love the car and can’t bare to think about parting with it, especially now that there is no such new car in Australia.

We did have a 2001 version which we loved at the time but had nothing but issues with the TCM on the car. Chrysler Australia wanted thousands to try to fix it but were not hopeful. We had to send ours to the US to be repaired which worked for a bit but then the same issues started again so got rid of the car. Just kept locking in a transmission limp mode that only gave us 3 gears. It was a shame.

As for the the newer model we have we love it and can’t recomend them enough.

Old 11-17-2019, 05:26 AM

I have 3 Caravans and have had many more. Usually around 85 to 100,000 miles odd electrical events start happening. I have solved some wacky issues like the speedometer dancing around and interior lights with their own mind. All I have had to do is pull the engine computer under the hood and carefully clean all the contact surfaces on all connectors and then add some AL/OX or other electrical contact paste and corrosion inhibitor. Some people wire the battery cables together overnight. Cant say if that helps, but it doesn't hurt.

Old 11-20-2019, 06:42 PM
Default Absolutely NO on a van with over 100K!

I bought a “beautiful” one with 71,000 miles on it. When it hit 96,000 miles all sorts of stuff started going bad.
Sensors failing, alternator, engine computer, transmission cooling lines blew, evap,system falling apart, then the transmission started going. I traded that thing in just recently. POS!
They may be great cars for the first leasee or owner, maybe even up to 90,000 miles but after that the repairs will be more than the van is worth. Coincidentally, I was talking with my nephew, he mentioned, (too late), that his parents had Chrysler minivans and every one fell apart at about 100,000 miles.
Of course you could gamble that the previous owners have already replaced everything ......but I wouldn’t.
Just look at the windshield washer system, the tubes are hard plastic, like from a 1970’s Revell kids model, they crumble. Cheapest plastic available.

Last edited by maseratiguy; 11-20-2019 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Adding more information