General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 LHS Electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Default 94 LHS Electrical problem

1994 Chrysler LHS Fuel guage is does not work reads quarter ofa tank. Coolant temp reads slightly above C and also does not work, Speedois froze at7mph and also does not work. Tach works but is not accurate reads 3000 when engine is actually turning 2000. All of the idiot lights come on during initial power up. No active engine or transmission codes. Engine runs fine, transmission will shift into all gears going down the road. The info center above the windshield reads calculated fuel milage and trip meter and odometer work.Have pulled Dash cluster. I have power on my ignition feed and battery wires. My grounds ohm out ok 5ohms It appears that this cluster is feed from two wires coming from the body controller? All the wiring I can see behind the dash appears ok Do not no where to go from this point. Any body have any ideas.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Default RE: 94 LHS Electrical problem

did you try a new gauge cluster?
well i kinda have the same prob, i have a 95 new yorker (same as LHS) and when i go fast the speedo wobbles up and down
i checked the magnetic speed sensor and it's fine.
i haven't checked the ground but i dont know if i need to.
and i have replaced the gauge cluster and it still does it, so i dont know what to do either lol

Old 03-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Default RE: 94 LHS Electrical problem

I rechecked my ground to the cluster as well as the switched and unswitched battery. I then checked for voltage on the wire marked + and - from the body controller and had 12 v I then checked the data wires with my ohm meter with key power on and I was getting 5v So I figured the body controller is sending a signal to the cluster all wires check out. Disassembled the cluster no obvious problems, no burnt spots ect. Went to a wrecking yard and got a cluster for 75.00 Installed it and shazam everything works. Go figure. The cluster must work like a diagnostic tool reading a signal from the ECM and probably has some kind of driver to move the needles, odometer ect and it has probably lost that driver. I figured there would be some hotshot chrysler tech who would have shortened my diagnostic time 5 hours tearing apart dash, another 4 on all data researching the wiring diagram another 2 trying to piece it all together and another 3 or tracing wires ect. I also found some chafing on the harness that runs from the transmission to the Powertrain control module and repaired this also but it was not causing any aparant problems at this time. Good luck to you thanks for the info.