New Member Area New to CF? Stop in tell us about you.

ground wires

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 07:59 PM

Thank you Thank you thank you.... I was able to open it and will print it off for my son..

Old 01-28-2011, 08:05 PM

Not a problem......

Old 01-28-2011, 08:37 PM

Hi agian. My son looked at the picture and he said that the two ground showing on pic, are tight, but have a little green stuff around them. he will clean them up. He would like to know if you know of any other grounds that would cause it, and where the ground is located that goes from battery to chassy?

Old 01-28-2011, 10:25 PM

I'm willing to bet that the green stuff goes all the way thru.....

Try something for me..... A pair of Jumper cables.... Just the black one.... Clamp to the negative battery post, and the other end , clamp to a convenient spot on the intake manifold,,,See if it starts....

The Chassis ground is on the left front frame rail, just inside the front bumper.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:04 PM

He will try that tomorrow morning and I will let you know if it works.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:16 PM

Hi.... i just wanted to let you know that he did what you said with jumper cables and it turned over, of course we had to charge the battery before it would start. He went through and cleaned grounds and replaced eye hooks on them. The van is NOW RUNNING!!! i am so excited that it is running, it was the best noise I heard all week. Thank you so much for all your help, it was so much appreciated..
Thanks agian

Old 01-29-2011, 05:32 PM

You are quite welcome....

Now youre going to do something for me.....

Either youurself, or your son, are going to UNDERSTAND what was wrong, and why it did what it did.

Electricity is much like water......it flows until it meets its level, and it seeks out the shortest path to get there.

Take a large pipe and a small pipe and hold them next to each other. With the same amount of water flowing, the large pipe flows MUCH MORE water than the small one.......Much like the thick ground wire to your engine block, as opposed to that Flimsy little strap across your mount...

With the large ground missing, there is no choice but to force all of that electricity thru the smaller one, which is not designed to handle that much current, and it overheats and burns before it can transfer sufficient electricity to where it needs to be.

The transfer of knowledge is by far more gratifying than helping you fix your car......

Old 02-24-2011, 04:33 PM

There are fore cylinder the same information as the V6,it is a 2.4 4 cylinder we can not purchase the new wire on them so if the negative battery cable is loose will that cause it.

Old 01-22-2022, 11:42 AM
Smile Thank you for teaching me!

Originally Posted by djinn-n-tonic
you are quite welcome....

Now youre going to do something for me.....

Either youurself, or your son, are going to understand what was wrong, and why it did what it did.

Electricity is much like water......it flows until it meets its level, and it seeks out the shortest path to get there.

Take a large pipe and a small pipe and hold them next to each other. With the same amount of water flowing, the large pipe flows much more water than the small one.......much like the thick ground wire to your engine block, as opposed to that flimsy little strap across your mount...

With the large ground missing, there is no choice but to force all of that electricity thru the smaller one, which is not designed to handle that much current, and it overheats and burns before it can transfer sufficient electricity to where it needs to be.

The transfer of knowledge is by far more gratifying than helping you fix your car......
i love this explanation. Thank you!