New Member Area New to CF? Stop in tell us about you.

Take 5 oil change leaves in engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2024, 03:29 PM
Default Take 5 oil change leaves in engine

I took my car for an oil change, never used Take 5 before and will never use again. They drained oil and took off air filter which I didn’t ask for but decide I might as well. They finished putting oil in and had me start car w/o putting filter on. I was unaware they had not replaced filter when they started engine which sucked leaves in my engine and choked the intake. When I left 5 mph was all I had when I pulled into traffic. I managed not to get run over pulled back in and told them. They looked and said they saw nothing wrong told me to try grease monkey across the street. Knowing their ineptitude had caused this I was not interested in having them touch my car anymore. I pulled across to Grease monkey across the street where the manager and I discovered an indicator light for the engine being choked was on. I explained what had happened and we took off the air filter and the manager, Gary looked with a flashlight and saw leaves in the exhaust, he pulled the leaves out best he could. Later that day my a/c started leaking cold water. I immediately smelled to see if I smelled antifreeze but it had no smell. I took the problem to Take 5 eventually got a claim number and took it to Firestone automotive. I told them what I wanted checked😶 They pulled the dipstick looked at it did a dye test on ac and charged me $200 and sent estimate failing to mention the clogged actuator. Now I don’t know what the procedure is to check to see if debris being sucked in the engine is. But I need to know if their actions caused the debris that clogged the actuator and if draining the oil should be standard when something like this has happened?

Old 09-19-2024, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

your air filter is for the engine the cabin filter would be fore the internal air that you get cold and hot air from. so unless they took out both filters and did not put either one back one is not related to the other.
The cold water from the ac do you mean inside the cabin?